New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pac-Nor Barrels-Whats Your Experience?
 Login/Join

<sure-shot>
posted
I've had nothing but success with Pac-Nor barrels on my rifles and others. I also like and own Hart, Lilja and Schnieder. There are lots of excellent barrel makers today, we've never had it this good. Seems there are a few out there bashing Pac-Nor lately - whats your opinion?

<Ross Spagrud>
posted
Pac-Nor is of the highest quality in regards
to both barrel quality and customer service.

I have personally installed over two hundred
with incredible results.

In my mind there are several very good barrel
makers that are all on approximately the
same level as far as potential accuracy goes
and those include Lilja, Hart, Shilen, Krieger and Gaillard. Should a customer
specify any of these barrels we will gladly
use them as well.

Ross
www.prairiegunworks.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, who's bashing Pac-Nor? I visit this site, huntamerica and 24hcf and haven't seen any negative comments there.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
I'll paste what I just put up on the other forums.
I am impressed with their work.
I sent two rifles off to Pac-Nor in Nov, to get rebarrelled, and bedded. I received them back about 2 weeks ago.I simply was not impressed when I got them back. Oil everwhere, bedding material on stock, did not look like the lettering was even etc..I started cleaning them up, the letters were even, the Oil came off, and material on the stock was not bad to get off. I mounted my scopes, as I cleaned the bore to load test I noticed how smooth it was. They started looking better, and what I was initially disaappointed with soon disappeared as I was ready to test.
I already had an idea of what I wanted to shoot in the 300win, so I tested for pressure only, and ended up with my usual 76 grns Rl-22. I only tried the Rl22, and H4831, and it looked like the Rl22 was a bit tighter. I had only shot 6 shots through this barrel with no cleaning. I shot my first group with shots 7-9 .672 was the group.
I then pulled out the 300wby, and pressure tested it too, with 4 different powders, got sighted in and was ready for groups, I had shot this rifle 19 times with no cleaning. Group was 4 shots .542 with Rl22, and .720 with Rl25.
I came home, and found that I had forgot to torque the scope on both rifles" dummy" and both had shifted. When I cleaned the rifles they cleaned up with only a couple of passes with Butches, and 1 pass with sweets.
I had quite a few discussion with Ernie, Chris, and Penny, and knew I was talking to some good folks before I received the rifles. To say that I am impressed is an understatement, and I sent them rifles based on what I had heard on this, and other forums. These were rifles my father had given me, and they did not shoot well, and I was not about to sell them, so I figured the best thing to do was rebarrel them. To shoot these groups with the scopes loose, is impressive. As a side note I was using talley rings, and bases, and the groups simply did not shift , even though the scope was moving back, with each shot. I was just in too much of a hurry, and with it being rainy, and overcast, I just did not see the marks till I got home in the light of my garage.
Bottom Line:
I was treated well, and with respect.
The job was done in under the time frame they gave me.
The Rifles shoot like a Mutha.
I don't care if they have a dog turd on them when I get them back ,if they shoot, and clean like this!!
If any of you guys are out there contemplating using Pac-Nor, I will tell you to do it in aheart beat
Count me as a satisfied customer.
I just wanted to let everyone know, that there still are some good companies out there, and to give an update on what the outcome was for something I had mentioned I was doing in an earlier post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Check out the 2 morons on the 22-250 thread. Unless they work for some other barrel maker, I'm not sure what they hoped to accomplish.- Bob

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Pac Nor for a number of years and was very satisfied with them....I now use Lothar-Walther barrels and consider them a better barrel, but thats based just on my opinnion.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I've built a couple of guns with Pac-Nor barrels with no problems and consulted with them on a couple of other projects. They are timely, helpful and offer inexpensive services compared to others. I've also seen a 50BMG match rifle using a Pac-Nor Barrel shoot a 4 inch 1000 yrd group. They are a first rate company in my opinion and nice people to do buisness with.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most accurate rifle I ever shot, I also assembeled myself. I used a Pac-Nor barrel. It is a M-700, .223, heavy barrel with a clasic stock. It shoots in the "teens" (five shots)with off the shelf compontents. I got one of their long chambered barrels and trimmed the shoulder, on my klunky old lathe, until the headspace was correct. Not to bad for so little fuss. : )

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 02-05-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sure-shot:
I've had nothing but success with Pac-Nor barrels on my rifles and others. I also like and own Hart, Lilja and Schnieder. There are lots of excellent barrel makers today, we've never had it this good. Seems there are a few out there bashing Pac-Nor lately - whats your opinion?

After sale service was more than you could ask. I had a problem with the 280 Ack Redding FL die and kind of got the old "we'll check it out" from Redding. Ernie wanted me to send the rifle back to him to get it sorted out even though we both new it was a die problem. Shoots great too.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Thank you all for your replys. My experiences with Pac-Nor have been similar(great!) I still grin about a 'smith I humbled at a range last summer after he started bad-mouthing Pac-Nor barrels. After giving me a song & dance about how he built rifles for a living and all I proceeded to shoot some .5" grps with my Pac-Nor barreled 7-08, he walked over and said that my barrel must have been mistakenly installed as a Hart at my 'smiths. I looked at him and said "yea right, Pac-Nor themselves did the rebarreling so explain that one" He walked off and loaded his gear and left. sure-shot

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 02-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own one of the pac-nor barrels that Ross Spagrud installed.It is on a 300 ultra mag which is not a caliber one normally expects to produce small groups with.In spite of the standard weight barrel and stiff recoil the rifle still averages 1/2" groups while propelling 180 gr bullets at just under 3400 fps.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Santa Claus,
What else did Pac-nor do beside rebarraling & glass bedding? Did you have them square the receiver and lapp the lugs? What brand & type of rifles were use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor charges a flat $200 to install one of their barrels. Installation always includes truing the receiver face, lapping the locking lugs and truing the bolt face. If you send them a dummy cartridge they will throat the barrel to exactly the length you want.

I am so darn happy with this group that I have posted it on three separate forums. It represents the 19th through 22nd shots from a brand new Pac-Nor barrel in .270 Winchester, the barrel was contoured to match the original factory sporter contour. They installed it with appropriate action truing as mentioned above. The rifle is a Remington Model 700 BDL, the action was placed back in the stock without any special bedding. Brand new R-P cases, 60.0 RL-22, Hornady 130 Spire Points, Fed 210 primers. Average velocity was right at 3160 fps for the 4 shots. To be honest, it (read I) can�t do this all the time, but I had this rifle out again this past weekend and while sighting in the scope it shot two more three shot groups that my ruler says are about �� and 5/8� � this with holding the rifle in my hands, and not directly on a benchrest. This is my 4th Pac-Nor barrel, two .270�s and two .30-06�s, and all are quite capable of the occasional �� group like above � the limiting factor is the shooter.

As to Pac-Nor customer service, my first barrel, a .30-06, did not seem to shoot as well as I thought it should, grouping just under one inch. Chris, the president and owner, talked this over with me at some length on the phone and verified my shooting technique, bedding and several other possibilities. He said send it back and he would look at it. About two week later it was returned with three targets that had three shot groups in the .6�s and .7�s using Hornady 165 grain BTSP. They even included the rest of the box of Hornady bullets � all this for no charge. Turned out it was the way I was holding the rifle on the bags. After I adjusted my hold this rifle began shooting .6�s for me. It turned in one memorable group of .189� with factory Federal High Energy 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

You will never hear me badmouth Pac-Nor. I am a firm devotee of this company.

<Santa Claus>
posted
Norsman,
Yes they lapped, and trued the recievers,chambered, and installed the barrel, cryoed both action, and barrel, blued both action, and barrel, adjusted the triggers, bedded both rifles. They also took the time to treat me as I was their only customer, which is very refreshing in this day, and age. I sent them a Interarms Mark X action, and a Weatherby Mark V..Like I said before, I was contemplating sending a action to Krieger to rebarrel, and I know Krieger is a good company, but I was treated so well, and got such good results that I will send Pac-Nor all the business I can. I just can't say enough about the service, and product. I have talked to most of the people that work there, and they are all super nice people to do business with...What more can I say?

<Big Stick>
posted
I have rifles assembled with most of the high end blanks. PacNor is my favorite. I'd relate how well those rifles shot,but nobody would believe it................

one of us
posted Hide Post
so jim, are you saying he produces a rifle that will shoot under an inch with factory ammo? sounds like this company is a good thing

<sure-shot>
posted
Stick, I would......

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 02-06-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well hot damn, maybe I should send my rifle to Pac-Nor and have them do the work and save myself some money instead of shipping my rifle to Gre-tan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fats:
so jim, are you saying he produces a rifle that will shoot under an inch with factory ammo? sounds like this company is a good thing

Don't know if I'm the Jim to whom you refer, but...

No, I would not guarantee under an inch accuracy with factory ammo from Pac-Nor barrels. That '06 that fired the .189" group with Federal High Energy Nosler Partitions shot well over an inch when fed
that same High Energy load but loaded with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I remember the Noslers went right at 2940 fps while the TBBC's only hit the upper 2800 fps area in my rifle. The one box of good old factory Remington 165 Core-Lokts that I tried in it got a couple of groups pushing 3/4" but mostly they were around an inch if I remember correctly.

Good ammo is always a prerequisite for good groups. And sometimes a barrel just doesn't like a particular bullet.

But I don't think I'm going out on too thin of a limb when I say that a Pac-Nor barrel will certainly make the absolute most of whatever it is fed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah i know good ammo is the real deal, i just continue to hear a lot of success stories about pac-nor, and i know you can make an old ragged rifle shoot with the right loads but i don't have all the time to reload, but i do like semi-custom rifles, the choice of a heavier barrel seems to fit much better

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fats:

I didn't realized shooting under an inch, with factory ammo was a big deal!

I had a Howa 1500 action in a Ramline stock, total cost about $210, 30-06, Federal Premium 165gr Sierra's. 3/4" at 200yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote