THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What is this style of stock called? (Pic of early Mauser sporter)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this style of stock called? (Pic of early Mauser sporter)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted

I like the style. I've seen it on very lightweight rifles, and a few not so svelte. Does anyone offer this as a semi-inlet?

Thanks. Lee

Posts: 7581 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
GAG , Great American did. I call it a Sauer pattern.

Here's the GAG version as a semi. Took them over 6 month to get it to me. (M96 mauser inlet)

Here's a small ring Mausers.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Common pre war (WW1) German pattern used by JP Sauer and others.
Yes, GAG did make them, but they are long out of business, which was bought out by a place called Walnut Grove which is more of a crook than GAG was, if you can believe that. A friend ordered a stock from them last year and after a few months of "can't find the one you ordered", they sent a different stock that looked like it was made from white pine. Anyway, ...
I have that pattern, and usually plane off the side panels as most guys don't like them. The drop is perfect for iron sights and still works for low mounted scopes. It is for hunting, not target shooting.
PM me if anyone wants one made for a 98 Mauser large ring. Not drop in; they require final inletting.

Posts: 17277 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I think this is a dead page but it has pictures.

http://www.gunstocks.com/Stockstyles.html

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ah. I forgot you had that.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Common pre war (WW1) German pattern used by JP Sauer and others.
I have that pattern, and usually plane off the side panels as most guys don't like them. The drop is perfect for iron sights and still works for low mounted scopes. It is for hunting, not target shooting.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Very much like the Rigby pattern is it not, Tom?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes very similar; the Rigby is certainly based on that old pattern; Rigby removed the cheek piece, (usually), and cut off the side panels, and rounded the pistol grip. And no schnabel, but the Rigby stock is inside the German one.
I have the Rigby pattern too.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ramrod has that pattern too; I don't think he is back up and running yet. He will probably come in and tell us.
He is the probably best bet for the German style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Tom- we can definitely talk. I would love to havebone of those with the side panels still on and cheekpiece on the right, since I'm left eye dominant. I think those rifles are just beautiful.

I got this from the classified section here:

An old working man's custom. Unknown Mauser action. Chambered in 8mm_'06.

Posts: 7581 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ludwig Olsen's 3rd edition describes this style as simply full oval raised panels. See early Oberndorf Mauser 8X57 Sporter on page 232. Its panel is slightly shorter than yours and has a schnable fore end. The checkering pattern at the pistol grip is like the OP rifle's.
Also see page 261 for a Sempert & Kriegoff Gibeson model for another similar panel.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Thanks, guys. Tom- we can definitely talk. I would love to havebone of those with the side panels still on and cheekpiece on the right, since I'm left eye dominant. I think those rifles are just beautiful.

I got this from the classified section here:

An old working man's custom. Unknown Mauser action. Chambered in 8mm_'06.

That looks like McBrides gunshop in Austin . Is it .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. It's Mickler & Associates in Leander.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ramrod has that pattern too; I don't think he is back up and running yet. He will probably come in and tell us.
He is the probably best bet for the German style.

Yep I have it. But I'm months away from cutting again. Still not in my house. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, GAG was "bought" by Walnut Grove. Henry Pohl moved to Idaho to advise and mentor new owner. Henry has been by my shop 3 times in the past 3 years. He told me what I am passing on today. MO connection from my past. Henry is from Lincoln, MO. I lived there for 3 years. Yes, Henry Pohl is E.C. Bishop's grandson....of MO gunstock fame.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original stock pattern for the blank from GAG was from E.C. Bishop Gunstock Co inventory. It was indeed patterned after the English/German style stocks of the past. There is a huge amount of German influence in the Central Missouri countryside. It did and does heavily influence how things get done there. I.E., production methods at Bishop, Fajen, Wenig's, Show ME Gunstocks, are all based on the Germanic/British formula of one person doing one job well passing on to another craftsperson until the gunstock is completed.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
GAG was "bought" by Walnut Grove

My pattern was purchased from Walnut Grove. As I understood it it came from GAG

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its called an Obendorf style stock around these parts. comes with or without side panels and with or without the Schnable..I much prefer the small Schnable..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's called the Obendorf style. It has a little extra wood, side panel, for strength near the action. Stock dimensions are probably 1.5 drop at comb and 2.5 drop at heel. Similar to pre-sporting clays double shot guns. It will handle like a dream. Quick to point and hang on target for a jiffy.
It would be a delight to hunt with, from 7x57 to .375HH IMO.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my J.P. Sauer sporter, built on a transition Mauser action with a very low serial number, as refinished by Lon Paul. The barrel, the bore of which was in bad condition, has been rebored and rechambered to 9X57 from 8X57J.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love those JP Sauer & shons sporters, had one in 30-06 and it shot like a bench gun, Sold it for $4500 to a friend of mine, never been able to buy it back..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote