New
Find
Notify
Tools

Play: Identify the Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a .264winmag on a mauser action. nice sporterizing job, great stock etc. but not sure what the mauser action is. It has on the left hand side Mod.98, then on left side of front ring an eagle over what looks to be a swaztika (polished so hard to tell) and to the right of it, still on left side of front ring a 4 digit number of a lower case cursive letter a

then on right side of front ring it has three small eagle stamps in a row over the number 26 (it looks like they are all over the number 26, again polished so a bit hard to tell).

anybody know what this action is? Just curious as .264 is a high pressure cartridge, ya know.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Kar98 (small ring 98) to me.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kar 98 in my shop, doesn't look like that, and is large ring. Maybe I will have to get some pictures of it before anybody can help me identify it. I don't know if there are more markings on top of ring, as don't feel like taking off scope base.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of measurements will confirm small vs large ring.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Waffenamt 26,26,26 on the right side of the receiver was used at Berlin-Lubecker Maschinenfabrik, Lubeck from 1936 to 1938. Then at Mauser-Werke AG, Berlin-Borsigwalde from 1939 to 1942. These are K98k's(large ring). Hope this helps. Source is "The 98k Website and MSA"