New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken double rifle stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought an A. Hollis double rifle which arrived via UPD today. The stock was broken completely off at the wrist. All the broken wood pieced were in the case with the rifle. Can something like this be repaired and if so does anyone know a stock maker that can make the repair and in all probability re-checker the area of the break.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the stock can be repaired, the Stock Doctor aka Dennis Earl Smith can fix it. He is a veritable wizard with broken stocks. He is an ACGG member and his contact information can be found in the members listing of the ACGG website, www.ACGG.org

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RogersGunWorks, I'll see if I can contact him. I sent photographs to Brian Dudley, who was recommended on this site and he said it could be fixed. Brian is not taking any new work until after the first of the year.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Dennis Earl Smith. He fixed a a Sako rifle broken at the wrist for me and I can't find the repair or see any difference in the finish or checkering in the area of the repair. Amazing work.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your Hollis! I can recommend Dustin Mount. Also Jo-e Morrison of Gordy and Son of Houston Texas.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank all you guys. I have been contacting some of these guys and there work is so good that they are backed up for months right now. I did talk with Griffin & Howe today and they seem positive about being able to repair the rifle. Odd thing is Griffin & Howe said they are getting numerous rifles and shotguns sent to them with the same damage. Makes me wonder if there is a bunch of anti hunting and anti firearms people working for these shipping companies that are intentionally tearing up these guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ship a rifle with a two piece stock I take the butt stock off or break it down in the case of a double such as this. Gives the shippers less leverage to break it. In one case I sandwiched the rifle between two 2x4s. Makes for a shorter package and doesn't look like a "gun".

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they are still doing it, stock fixers can do it. (307) 436-5561.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be Bob Fulton.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote