New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interarms Mark X ????????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use a Mauser Action Specifically an Interarms Mark X Action, to build a rifle? Pro's and Con's.........Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark X in 270 Win. that I purchased as a barreled action in the early 70's. It has been my primary deer rifle ever since. I replaced the trigger and bolt handle, and added a M70 type safety.

Pro's: 98 pattern Mauser alloy steel action.

Con's: Cosmetically poor - action is badly over-buffed.
Trigger and side safety should be replaced immediately!
Mine is drilled and tapped off center on rear bridge - can only use 1-pc. scope base.
Bore is rough and hard to clean but is quite accurate with 5-shot groups consistently under an inch.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them on a couple of custom rifles, with surface grind, new trigger, M-70 safty they are an excellent action...The barrels are quite good as a rule and most of them shoot very well indeed...they are just a good LR 98 Mauser, thats about it.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have been made in Yugoslavia on and off over the last 30 years. Machinery is a copy of FN style. Quality varies from year to year, so each action has to be judged individually. Whitworth models usually have a better finish.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
My .300 H&H is built on the Interarms action and about the only real trouble I have had with it in the last 20+ years is the bolt. I agree wiith the posters that say the side safety should be replaced.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the CZ action a kissing cousin to the Interarms. They seem to be pretty well thought of.

[ 06-16-2003, 09:24: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I bought a barreled action sometime in the early 70s in 25-06, I put a Robert's or Richard's walnot stock on it. I used it for groundhog hunting, some of the longest shots I've ever made were made with that rifle. I had it converted to 375 Whelen some time in the 90s.
I agree the safety is worthless, otherwise I've been most pleased with this action.
I'd love to find one of the Mini Mark X action for a project.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call me a little weird but when you're 25yards from the biggest buck you've ever seen in your life would you want to be slipping off that side safety (movement 1/4inch and silent) or that M70 style desperately trying to stop the click as it moves from the safe detente to the fire detente?(perhaps through the 'safe but not locked' detente)

I'm fully aware that the side safety does not lock the firing pin and that one must have it on fire to unload but the convenience and utility of a side safety coupled with the excellent feel of this trigger has made me ask for it on all of my mauser customs - thus far I'm extremely happy with it.

IMHO M70 style safeties are a nightmare for woodland stalking.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894---,

I fully agree with your statement.......
The best safety is the guy/girl operating the firearm and/or an empty chamber.

Ol' John

PS--I think the Mark X and the new Charles Daly that now being imported made by the same outfit in Yugoslavia is an excellent choice. The action is a little gritty in operation but if you don't want to smooth it up yourself then spend 3 times as much money and get a Sako. If I were building a custom rifle for myself I would go for the CZ 550. Best value for the bucks out there, IMHO. Not everyone will agree and thats OK--thats why we build custom rifles and they make Chevy's, Fords and Dodges plus all the imports. If you like the looks and feel of the Mark X or the Daly--by all means go for it. Its your money and your custom gun.

[ 06-17-2003, 20:51: Message edited by: HondoJohn6508 ]

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894 is right.

I like the buehler wing safety. If you put your middle finger on the cocking piece as you drop the wing, the rifle can be taken off safety silently. And it is quicker than a model 70 safety because the stroke is shorter.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote