Find
Notify
Tools

Fair price for M70 pre '64
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted
I only had about 5 minutes to view the rifle so I can not provide more details for a better appraisal at this time. However, it is a pre '64 in .338WM in factory condition. The owner bought it new when he was 16 years old (at least 50 years ago). The s/n is etched on the bolt. The stock shows a lot of wear but the action and bottom metal is 99.9%, barrel about 85%. The front sight is hooded. He doesn't hunt anymore and might be interested in a private sale. I'm not looking for a "steal" but a fair price for both buyer and seller. Many thanks.

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aleaddict:
I only had about 5 minutes to view the rifle so I can not provide more details for a better appraisal at this time. However, it is a pre '64 in .338WM in factory condition. The owner bought it new when he was 16 years old (at least 50 years ago). The s/n is etched on the bolt. The stock shows a lot of wear but the action and bottom metal is 99.9%, barrel about 85%. The front sight is hooded. He doesn't hunt anymore and might be interested in a private sale. I'm not looking for a "steal" but a fair price for both buyer and seller. Many thanks.

-- ale

& on the bottom of the recoil lug area it will say .458! In my neighborhood $1,500 - $1,800 buckos Wink

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
A 338 mag is sorta rare. There are no price guide lines it seems as in todays market it's been as much as the seller can squeeze out of it and some people will pay big money. For that cartridge I'll just throw out $1500 as "fair".

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
(at least 50 years ago).

according to "cartridges of the world" 10th addition, the .338 win mag was announced in 1958...it was initially available in the "alaskan" bolt action rifle (model 70)...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
the .338 win mag was announced in 1958..

You are indeed correct. I was born in '58 so I'm kinda partial to that year ( Big Grin ).

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You are indeed correct. I was born in '58 so I'm kinda partial to that year ( Big Grin ).

"58" was a Dam good year!! jumping

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cheapest pre 64 M70 rifles are 30-06.

I did not see any yesterday at the Puyallup show for less than $850 ask price.

Every magnum Mauser was at least $400.
I think prices are going up.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i remember 58 - thats the year GM f*%&%^^ing wrecked the 57 chevy boohoo

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
quote:

"58" was a Dam good year!! jumping

We're all turning the big 5-0 this year.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12691 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not see any yesterday at the Puyallup show for less than $850 ask price.

You didn't look in the right place, LOL

The 338 Mag in the condition described would be a great buy at 1200 and a good buy at 1500.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a rough stock and excellent metal I would value it at $1200.00. In mint condition they are bringing about $1500 to $2000 and up to $2500 plus still in the box unfired, if you shop.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably see him again in a few weeks. He also had a couple old Winchester .22's, one of which belonged to his grandmother!! (an old single shot .22 Short).