Find
Notify
Tools

Altered Crown on Purpose????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
This might seem like a strange question, but would there be a reason or have been a reason to alter the crown of a rifle by purposely filing a small round 1/8" slot on one edge of the crown? If the barrel were slightly tweaked and/or would a person purposely attempt to change bullet POI? Or would this make the bullet POI erratic? I do plan on having the barrel recrowned because I know it isn't correct.

I have a 60 yr old rifle that shoots well and consistently bullets impact is about 1.5" with handloads at 100 yards (prolly should leave well enuff alone). However, on the lower edge of the crown is an approx 1/8" round slot that looks like it was filed out OR worn in by repeatedly cleaning the barrel from the crown end. It might seem obvious to the casual reader that it is exactly that, but I knew the previous owner for many years and the rifle was rarely shot. The bore was only thoroughly cleaned after shooting. If not shot over a number of years the rifle was wiped down and bore punched once a year.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I couldn't possibly speculate on why it was done but I sure would have it re-crowned.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That barrel would have to be made out of a pretty soft piece of steel for a cleaning rod to cut a groove in it. Nothing is served by such damage so I would definitely second the recrowning recommendation.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People get really wierd ideas in thier heads and just have to try them out. Who knows why someone would do that, but it isn't gonna make the gun a better shooter for sure.

I had a 6.5 sweed that someone thought they would put a deep crown on, so they drilled out the last inch of the bbl with a drill bit! The BBl was already pretty short, so I didn't want to cut it. That gun never shot well. I see people do the wierdest things, but thats what they do.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
People get really wierd ideas in thier heads and just have to try them out. Who knows why someone would do that, but it isn't gonna make the gun a better shooter for sure.

I had a 6.5 sweed that someone thought they would put a deep crown on, so they drilled out the last inch of the bbl with a drill bit! The BBl was already pretty short, so I didn't want to cut it. That gun never shot well. I see people do the wierdest things, but thats what they do.

Back when the minimum barrel length was 18 inches for rifles, imported Swedish M94 carbines had an inch long tube welded to the end of the barrel so they could be sold. You may have had one of those.

Posts: 3704 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ears ago I played around with an old pull pin revolver trying to get it to shoot with the sights. Moving the axis of the crown did change
the point of inpact. This could have been along the same lines.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take is that at some point in time the crown was somehow damaged resulting in a gouge or burr. Rather than having the barrel re-crowned, a fine round file was used to "repair" the dinged crown. The repair seems to have worked well enough, so the rifle never made it to a gunsmith for a proper re-crown job.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Age old wisdom "if it is working, don't fix it."
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
I'll have it recrowned. It was my plan all along. You are right. Who knows what runs through people's minds? Thanks for all the thoughts.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:

Back when the minimum barrel length was 18 inches for rifles, imported Swedish M94 carbines had an inch long tube welded to the end of the barrel so they could be sold. You may have had one of those.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. Perhaps it was. In anycase it never shot well, but it had more problems than that. I eventually sold it to a friend who wanted to build a gun on a small ring.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote