THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a listing of gunsmths somewhere?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in finding a gunsmith in Southern CA that has done some big bores to discuss a new coyote rifle. It would be based on a Montana Rifle Co barreled action in .416 Taylor, 20.5" barrel probably #5 profile with a full length Mannlicher stock on the order of the Ruger Internationals, 1 leaf express sight in case I have to into the bush after one of those bad boys but otherwise it would sport a low powered scope. I realize this isn't everybody's idea of a coyote rifle but I enjoy large caliber guns and coyote is what I can hunt regularly. Is this possibly a home project for a handy person?

Thanks for any help you have - Jeff

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Try Dean Wilkerson (818) 988-7266 or Jim Hoag (818) 998-1510, they might be able to help you out.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Kizler 760-762-8956 Boron Ca. www.kizlers.com

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help guys - Kizlers has a really great website although I think their artwork might be outside my budget - I am thinking along the line of a laminated stock and doing some of the work myself but am not real clear on how difficult the frontend hardware is on a Mannlicher type stock.

Jeff

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeff,
even though i'm near the other coast , i just got three other ones finished up . e-mail me at max042@comcast.net and maybe i can help you out with your project.
max

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff , Decide what you want done and send it to some one for that specific work, then do the rest your self . Kizler ive talked to , He has a regular job and does gunsmithing on the side, is what he told me. I havent had any work done by him but I here he is very good . A good rifle smith in So Cal is about nonexitent.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ Haydon of Russ Haydons shooters supply is building me a rifle don't have it yet but he really knows what he's doing this is my 5th custom and i've used 4 different smiths.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Orange County is pretty dry.

I am about the only smith left in my area, but with a full-time store, I don't have the time to dedicate to a full on custom project.

-Spencer