New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gentry 3-Position Safety on Rem700
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does the installation of the Gentry Safety on the 700 require the cocking piece that is sold as a option with the safety, or can the original cocking peice be easily modified to work? Anyone have the instructions for installation of this on the 700? I can't get to Brownell's or Gentry's site through the firewall today.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JUST A WORD FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE,

Don't do it; go with the LaPour instead.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Thanks for the warning, but...
I am well aware of the general view of a lot of folks around here regarding the quality/ease of installation of the Gentry safety. I respect that, but I'vve never seen one or tried to install anyone else's. I have an opportunity to pick up a Gentry for an amount that makes it worth my while to try and fit it. The part I don't know is concerning the cocking piece, which I don't think I will be getting in this deal. If I have to buy the cocking peice, or the mods to the existing one are excessive, it won't be worth it to me and I'll go pass. It'll be a good learning experience, build character, that sort of thing.
So, how about that cocking peice on a Rem700?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done a few of these and you can use the cocking piece that is on your rifle. Be prepared to make very small cuts because it is basically a cut and try method with the Gentry safety. Do you have a milling machine? If not I would guess this job will be very difficult to complete with the degree of professionalism one would hope to achieve. You can figure on at least a couple of hours to get it together.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk to jim kobe before you do anything

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it to Gentry for instalation. Simple really.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter Boy:
I have done a few of these and you can use the cocking piece that is on your rifle. Be prepared to make very small cuts because it is basically a cut and try method with the Gentry safety. Do you have a milling machine? If not I would guess this job will be very difficult to complete with the degree of professionalism one would hope to achieve. You can figure on at least a couple of hours to get it together.

Shooter,
Thanks for that info on the cocking piece. I have three mills and three lathes of various sizes and capabilities as well as dividing head, etc. I am pretty well tooled and moderately competent in their use.

If I wanted to have someone else do all of my work, I wouldn't have bought all this equipment. I got hold of Gentry today and they will fax the instructions. It didn't sound like it was too complicated, but I'll see if I feel comfortable with it once the instructions arrive.

Greg