THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Calculating eye relief and what mounts for No. 3

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Calculating eye relief and what mounts for No. 3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Daggo, get ahold of a Brownell's catalog and thumb thru it, at work right now and can't think of the page or name , but some one offers a scope mount that has a weaver base that mounts right on top of the ruger cut outs, it mite be long enough, to place a scout scope on

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Leupold's website lists eye relief distances in their tech data. You'll probably need a front or rear extension ring setup to get the scope out where you want it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've sorta done it, except 1885 Browning it had a Burris 2 3/4 IER scope fitted as you describe and it worked out for me. Got a No. 3 45/70 but from looking at it, would probaly need holes d/t in the barrel.
HTH

mr

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without drilling and having custom bases the only solutions I can think of are the Burris variable eye relief scope in 1X (4-24" relief) in extension rings; or putting weaver bases on the rifle and a weaver-style riser/extension on top of those bases to give you a couple inches more base forward. That would not be an attractive set-up.

I believe Bushnell makes a shotgun scope with 6" eye relief for use in cantilever mounts. This in extension rings might do it for you.

Or if you are handy you could saw the claws off the weaver bases the thickness of a piece of long picatinny stock and run the screws though the drilled stock and remaining base blocks with some epoxy in between to fashion a long picatinny rail. Check Brownell's for options.

Don't know about strength though if your talking about a .45/70 with hot loads and a heavy scope.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT guys.

thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote