New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Mauser question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Believe it or not I forgot all about this rifle at my local smiths shop. Its been 2 years and today I had to do the 4473...oops.

Anyway what can you guys tell me about this thing. On the receiver it says modelo 1912, steyr austria. the bbl says sante fe field mauser 12012.

its real clean and was curious if it would be best to keep it a 30-06 or a re-barrel.

Thanks
Joel

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Santa Fe rifles were built on sporterized 98 actions. Most I've seen were on Brazilian 1908 actions. The Steyr 1912 was a nice action, originally in 7x57.

They're not great looking but should be servicable and the action depending on shape can most likely be used for something else should you not be pleased with the performance as-is.

What are you thinking of rebarrelling to?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure Mike. I have enough 30's laying around. After I cleaned the action, there is like 2 small pits below the woodline, otherwise its clean.

I threw on a K4 weaver and am almost afraid to shoot the dang thing. Sometimes doners shoot pretty good.

If I were to re-barrel, I was thinking something basic like a 35whelen, 338-06, or a 9.3x62. I have a gap between the 300winny and a 375H&H (heaven forbid that should happen).

I was curious if these actions were of the kind that folks think are junk or worth putting money into.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
Sometimes doners shoot pretty good.

I hate when that happens. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK: I was curious if these actions were of the kind that folks think are junk or worth putting money into.

They started out as nice actions, if it's in good shape and you replace the bolt handle, you could end up with a nice looking rifle.

Any of the cartridges you mention would work nicely.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote