New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 700 rails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a rem 700 in 300wm.if i would rebarrel to 375 ultra how and how much would i open the rails. i am not a g smith! thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hit the nail on the head when you said you are noa gunsmith. The answer to your question, "how much would I open the rais" is NOTHING. Take it to a gunsmith.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i knew that one was a comin, hee hee thanks jim , i,m really not going to do it myself, just curious how it was done.

posted Hide Post
ho,
Be patient. At some point someone will answer your question in a way that will help you Smiler

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ho:
i have a rem 700 in 300wm.if i would rebarrel to 375 ultra how and how much would i open the rails. i am not a g smith! thanks

You wouldn't need to open the rails. You would need to swap out the mag box with one designed for the ultra mag, and I believe the follower.

As far as how much you would have to open the rails if it needed it, maybe $100 - $150.00 worth.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the action long enuf?

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
is the action long enuf?

Yes.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rails need to be opened up .015" per side to feed Ultra cases.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ho,
Westpac has done these conversions before (as per past forum threads). There are a bunch of threads on here that touch on your exact problem. Just search for "ultra conversion" and that should bring up a bunch of stuff that will help you. Numerous guys that have DONE the conversion say to not touch the rails. One gentleman did widen the feed ramp, but I don't know if it is the exception rather than the rule.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote