THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I went and done it, another H-S Precision.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
Just had this wildhair up my ass wondering if I had an H-S stock on my Model 70 '06', bought by my dad back in the late 70s, would it make it more accurate? The rifle doesn't have a recoil pad, and I didn't want to pay a gunsmith to put one on, also wanted to bed it, no thanks. I'll just buy an H-S stock, and be done with it. Snug up the screws and go shooting.

Rifle will shoot about .7moa out to 300yds., I know, plenty good accuracy, just want to see if the H-S stock improves it any better. If not, oh well, if so, I'll be one up with a more accurate rifle, with a recoil pad. We'll see in 4-6 weeks, more like by spring, since the range closes a day before deer season. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay, I have several of the H-S stocks and even a couple of their guns and am very pleased with the results.
I am surprised that you would even be changing anything on your present gun as it will be hard to out do .07 MOA @ 300 yards. Good luck with the project and let us know the outcome

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
jimmy, Boy would I like to have one of their rifles, just read an article in "On Target" handout from Gander Mtn. and the thing got rave reviews. Accurate, nice trigger, and then you got the stock. I reminded myself how much I like their stocks when my brother-in-law came over last week, brought my 708 out for a comparison with his DBM model.(checking the difference between spring rates for the magazines). Holding the 2 rifles and feeling the stiffness in the H-S clad rifle, got to get one of these for the 06. Just love the ergonomics of the H-S sporter stocks, if I said it once, I'll say it 1000 more times, can't see how it could get much better than this.

One thing I want to check with the new stock is to see if I can get rid of a bit of horizontal stringing(@300), and sometimes it'll throw a shot a bit off at 100yds., though I know that could be me, too.
The shots at 300yds. were shot by my son. Probably a better shoot than I. Recoil doesn't seem to bother him, course he don't have arthritis in his shoulder, either.
Report coming in the spring, more than likely. yankees My dad (was) a Yankee fan, now he sits atop the gun cabinet in a pretty urn. Jay

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 2 h-s precision stocks on guns and one in the box (just in case)i think for the money they can't be beat.

posted Hide Post
I have one H-S Precision rifle, and it is the most accurate big game rifle I own.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
George, Nice rifle, you related to Boddington. lol What caliber are we talking,here? How accurate is it? Jay