THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe minimum fluted barrel wall thickness?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have some fluted barrels that are thick, and some that are thinner.. I know that a minimum for the barrel thickness at the higher pressure areas is commonly considered to be one bullet diameter. that is a 30 caliber would be minimum of .60 thickness.

One lighter thin one has one caliber of barrel thickness (284) of metal about 4 inches ahead of the chamber, and with the taper it is reduced to about half that at the muzzle end. That is a thickness of .140 on each side of the barrel at midbarrel, and half that at the muzzle end. [.575 -284 = 291] - 120 fluting both sides = 171 divide by two = .085 inch at the muzzle. Any thoughts on this? it is a Hart barrel in number 1 contour.

THis barrel has been shot several times, but the recent sako issue has me wondering...

What is a rule of thumb for minimum barrel thickness at muzzle end of a fluted rifle?

Thanks for the input.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Afer some research on this site, I find statements as to .100 minimum .125 comfortable minimum, as per Pacnor and barsness and others quoted....

Also found statements regarding the muzzle pressures as being 20% of chamber pressures....

Still, any comments are welcome..

thanks

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 454 Ruger Super Redhawk had some problems with getting a steel that was .065" thick, could pass 1.3 X to 1.4 X the 62,000 psi proof loads, and was machinable.

They found a specialty steel that will yeild at 260 ksi, but my calculations show that is not enough [.480 * 1.3* 62k/[2* .065] = 298 ksi]. Still, they survive the proof test now.

Most people can't see that inside diameter term relating steel stress to pressure.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jameister...

not fluted, but my savage 99 in 358 in .120 wall thickness or so from the factory at the muzzle

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote