New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great American Gunstock Experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever dealt with this company out of California? What is your impression of their work?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry Pohl is the owner. Keeping in mind that his prices are about 1/3 of the top names' fees, the work is worth the money. Henry has completely stocked several mannlicher style rifles for me. He tends to over inlet and then completely bed the barreled action. This is great for a hunting rifle that will see wet weather, but may not be suitable for a exhibition rifle where you would expect wood to metal contact.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Frieshutz Classic blanks, returned it because it was so rough, received another which I filled in places with bondo, ended up using it as pattern to turn my own blank. Despite all the problems, the price of the pattern was reasonable and it is a shape I could not get anywhere else, and the finished product is very beautiful and unique.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

Who did you wind up using to turn your blank? Sounds like you were pleased with the results. Did you finish the stock yourself, or did the guy who turned it do the finishing?

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith did almost all the work; he also has a pantograph. I think he still has the pattern. It is cut for a Brno ZG-47 (my rifle) but could be modified with bondo or glass for any large-ring 98 Mauser. The bottom metal is the only area that is cut different.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Henry is a great guy, and the stocks are VERY reasonable.

Tell him what you want, and you'll get it, to the best of his ability. I think he underrates by 1/2 to 1 full grade of stocks, but that's just because I am soo damn happy with mine.

BUT, there is a LOT, and I mean, A LOT of work to do. You basically are (out of 100 steps) 25 steps from a blank when you get it.

Richards micro fit is FAR closer to done... say step 85, but a LOT lesser wood.

Your call, but I really enjoy shaping and fitting my stocks. With Henry's stuff, you've got LOTS to put YOU into, .
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Kentucky Nimrod---

Tell Henry I'm grading it when it comes in.

He was my GS student 26 years ago. I see him every few years at a gunshow and give him a hard time. He'll appreciate the joke....and better give you a good stock. [Smile]