THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM, Barrel swap, Will This Work??? Help!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Help me out guys. I have 270 WSM in the push feed/crf action. I have a stainless model 70 classic barrel. Can I put the stainless classic barrel(with extractor notch) onto the push feed Model 70 and make it work?

I think I may have shot the throat out of chrome moly barrel as she quit shooting for me. I have checked all of the usual suspects. This is a last ditch effort prior to a big deer hunt. I have lost confidence in this setup as is.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The threads are probably the same but, you would have to set it back to accomplish the the square breaching and re-chamber for it to work. In the end, by the time you set it back, it would probably have to have the thread extension extended and the threads cut further forward to have enough thread engage. Without comparing the two barrels, this is just an educated guess.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before giving up on your barrel, make sure it is really clean. The WSMs do a very good job of fouling - both copper and powder - and this can ruin good accuracy. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've got a like new 270 WSM blued take off push feed barrel in the classifieds for a little bit of nothing.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote