New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis double rifle scope mounts
 Login/Join

<the-moleman>
posted
I'm thinking of getting a Chapuis UGEX double rifle in 9.3X74R. One attractive feature of this rifle is that the quarter rib has two removable pieces that can be replaced with scope mounts. [Smile] The bad news (ignoring for the time being the possible issues with regulation due to the weight of the scope) is that the scope mounts that Chadick�s sells are $695. [Frown]

Does anybody know if these openings in the rib are large enough to fit in a pair of Leupold QR bases? These would give me a lot of versatility as far as choosing among different ring sizes and heights, and would be a whole lot cheaper.

Or does anyone know of any other mounts for this rifle?

Thanks,
Kurt

one of us
posted Hide Post
moleman
I have a Chapuis 9.3 with a scope. I have not had any trouble getting the rifle to regulate with scope and irons with several different bullets, all 285 to 286gr. My rifle has the Chapuis factory pivot mounts. I think they are made by ERNST APEL or EAW. You can also get claw type mounts, according to the catalog. New England Custom Gun Service Ltd carries EAW mounts.
www.newenglandcustomgun.com
This is my favorite rifle under 40cal. Check my previous posts for loading info and bullet results.
A 2.5x8 Leupold [mine has the heavy duplex] fits the rifle very good.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
moleman
If you do not reload you might give www.superiorammo.com a try. Their 9,3x74R loads with Woodleigh softs and solids and the Nosler Partitions shot very good and all to the same useable point of impact at 100 yards. The 300gr Swift A-Frame loads shot good groups too, just 3 inches higher.

<the-moleman>
posted
N E 450 No2

Thanks for sharing from your experiences, I'm glad to hear that the regulation of your rifle wasn�t adversely affected by the installation of the scope. Thanks also for the advice on Superior Ammo. I'll probably get some factory loads just to establish a benchmark for comparison purposes with my handloads. I'm planning to use the Nosler Partition for my hunting loads.

Thanks also for the tip on EAW mounts at NECG. At $345 for the mounts with 1" rings they aren't cheap, but they are 1/2 the price that Chadick's wants! I�m still going to see what can be done with Leupold QR bases, but at least there�s a viable alternative available.

Kurt

<eldeguello>
posted
Well, it cost me $500.00 (in 1984) for just a set of rings for my SXS 8X60RS J.P. Sauer (claw mounts). So the price you quote is very realistic!!

[ 06-20-2003, 17:41: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
moleman
I will say one thing for the Chapuis mounts, they go back to zero. I do not think the Leupold mounts will work. The front ring must have a very long extention to the rear to fit the scope tube and have proper eye relief.
One reason the EAW mounts are so expemsive is the craftsmanship. The frong ring is adjustable up/down, and rear ring is adjustable left and right. This enables you to center your scope [boresight] by adjusting the mounts not the internal scope adjustments. Some European scopes do not have constantly centered reticules.
The Factory Chapuis mounts look exactly like the EAW's in the catalogue.
I think you will be VERY happy with the Chapuis 9,3 double. I wish I had an extra 20ga. bbl for mine, and or a 9.3x74/20ga "Cape Gun" bbl.
I have killed several turkeys with my 9,3. Most with the iron sights. The front is adjustable up/down the rear drift left right. All in all a most excellent rifle.

[ 06-21-2003, 11:54: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]