New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torquing guard screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me how to convert inch pounds to foot pounds? Is 65 inch pounds about right for Mauser-type bolt guns?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Multiple inch/pounds by 0.0833 to get foot/pounds.

For guard screws you are torquing them to seat the receiver into the stock, bedding or the pillars...not to keep them from coming loose. The the actual amount of torque is not as important as the consistency. 65 inch pounds is allot unless the receiver is pillar bedded.

Some rifles like equal torque, some like different torque on the front and rear screws. You just have to experiment a bit to see what your rifle responds to the best.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, much too early in the day for the eyes and brain to kick in when reading a pocket reference! Divide inch pounds by 12 to get foot pounds.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I keep it simple. "One grunt tight".

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. My intuition said divide by 12, but it's told me a few other things, too.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote