Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota Model 10 or Hagen Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
To fill the gap between my 7x64 and my .458 Lott, I am thinking about building a .338 Winchester on a single shot action. The two actions I am looking at are the Dakota No. 10 and the Hagen.

What are the opinions/experiences of those of you who have actually built guns on or used/shot rifles built on either of these actions.

Dave

Posts: 3837 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the Hagen in person. I own a Model 10 rifle and love the action. It is smooth, the trigger breaks cleanly at around 3# from the factory. The rifle is a 25-06 and will shoot most premium factory ammo within an inch at 100.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The February issue of Accurate Rifle had a Hagn single shot on the cover, and an article inside. They are a beautiful action, and I think much nicer then the Dakota 10 (which itself is no ugly duckling). - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it true the Dakota's have had ejector problems?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot two factory built Dakota M10 rifles owned by a friend. Very petite, almost dainty. Both were mechanically excellent. I can't really comment on the ejection problems mentioned by Jim as both of these rifles were chambered in rimmed cartridges, a 7X65R and .22 Hornet. I like the design of the lever on the Hagn (I've handled them but never shot a rifle based on one) a little better. That's just a subjective observation.

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've handled both but I haven't owned either. I spent a lot of time at the Reno show talking to Ralf Martini (the machinist & metalsmith who builds the Hagn) and examining his rifle and actions. If I were building a high end single shot, the Hagn would definitely be the action of choice. Better yet, I'd have Martini & Hagn build it for me. See the most recent issue of Accurate Rifle.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never even looked closely at the Dakota but am quite familiar with the Hagn action.
In essence the Dakota is an example of modern machining while the Hagn is an example of manual craftsmanship.
At this time, the Hagn actions are made entirely by the use of manual machinery. The fitting of the breech blocks is done by hand with files and scrapers and takes 3-4 hours for that operation alone. Everything is flat and square and it is that way thanks to careful workmanship. There are few gunmakers in the world who do as much hand work and at this skill level.
The trigger mechanism of the Hagn has always impressed me. It is simple, well designed and works.
All in all, I think these actions are unmatched as a demonstration of real craftsmanship and would be my first choice. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Is it true the Dakota's have had ejector problems?

Definitely, Jim. I have a couple of Model 10's and both have ejector problems. They DON'T have an ejector. It's not even an option.

I'm with fla3006, for a full custom go with the Hagn. Especially in a heavier caliber. If you're going to use it in cold weather, the ejector option is greatly favored when wearing gloves.

I had Don Klein build a 257 Roberts on the Dakota action and it is absolute perfection. But I would go with the Hagn if I were going to build a 338.

Do consider having Martini & Hagn build the rifle or at least provide the barreled action. Have a conversation with Don Klein also, he's a real gem to work with and his work is impeccable (but be prepared to wait . . . and wait). Don't tell Duane I said any of this.

You've got the bug bad now, don't you Dave?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone is interested in a group purchase (discount?) of the Hagn action. I am mainly interested in the big action to build a 600 Nitro Express. He got several of them (action only) in stock but at $2900 a pop, it is still a little on the rich side for me. I am hoping that we may get a better deal with a group purchase. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that in American or Canadian dollars?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Is that in American or Canadian dollars?

I wish that it were in Canadian dollars. According to the price sheet they sent me, it said USD $2900 per action so it has to be in US currency.

Don't get me wrong, even at $2900, it is still not bad for a top of the line hand made acion but it would be even better to get a better deal [Smile] . Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

Tell who what???? Unfortunately, you are correct, I do have the bug bad! Also unfortunately, custom guns are like any other addiction, no one can afford it. I have thought about buying either a barreled action or a complete rifle from Hagen, especially after seeing the gorgeous barrel you got from them. My problem is that between the $10,000 for the rifle and the $100,000 for the divorce, I can't afford what I really want.

Posts: 3837 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
 -

-

Martin Hagn & Ralf Martini

[ 03-19-2003, 18:12: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

On any given day I would choose the Hagn action over all other falling block actions.

They have also made a double rifle on this action [Eek!]

I like the latest version of the falling block action that has a ejector which can be activated just in a press of a button.

A Hagn is outstanding german quality gunsmith work from Canada [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN