Find
Notify
Tools

Restorable?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Restorable?

I'm not looking for a collectable rifle, just a shooter. At the moment the price falls in line with shooters. Other than this disaster it looks to be in great condition. My question is can the stock be restored, even if the buttplate needs replacing? Or is the wood likely to have turned punky? I can deal with some permanent discoloration if that is all that is likely to be wrong with it.

Thanks,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody forgot to drill little drain holes in their slip on recoil pad... Big Grin

Piece of cake! Start by cutting the stock back and installing a real recoil pad, and then blend in what's left and refinish. After all, it's just a shooter.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with malm.

I assume its a Savage 99. They never felt good to me anyways with that curvy plate on them.

Cut it back, put on a pad, blend in the finish.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Don't they make a product that's supposed the "bleach" stains out of wood?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
There are several products that use diatomatious (sp?) clay - the prime ingredient in Kitty Litter to suck the oil out of the wood. I have had some luck with Acetone on minor stains. Your stock looks like it will probably have punky wood and it may be wise to go the recoil pad route.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu, what is the rifle? What is your LOP? The recommended method is the best way and will probably work out. How much is damaged?

If you wanted to go back to metal buttplate you are SOL, you'd have to get a different plate to start with, and even if that isn't soft it will be stained I bet.

You could always replace the stock! Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strip the finish in the water stained area and go to home depot or a good lumber yard and get some water stain remover. It will bleech out that stain. Stuff works great.
Its the same stuff you use on water stained wood sideing or any finish wood

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Ah, slip-on recoil pad. Makes sense.
The rifle's not mine, it's something I'm looking at because the rest of it is in such great shape, and I'm after a shooter.
It's a Savage 99-F from the mid-50's. The LOP on these is 13in which is perfect for me. Lopping .6 off and adding a pad will be fine.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote