Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthen butt of rifle?
 Login/Join

posted
I am selling one of my Win 70s (30-06)to a friend that is 6'8". He obviously has long arms and needs the rifle to be longer. I was thinking of adding a 1.2" recoil pad to the current butt pad via rubber cement and sand them as one. What would you guys do?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would I do? I'd attach the pad to the stock with the supplied screws, scribe a line on the back of the pad at the edge of the stock, mount the pad to a sanding jig, sand the pad to the line, attach finished pad to stock. Much faster, no chance of dinging the stock.

I use to do the sand-as-one trick. It usually worked out well. When it didn't, I swore a lot. I'm a slow learner.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Rubber cement that I've see won't hold $hit. NCGG sells a 1.5" pad. http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/
I'd take the old pad off get a 1.5" pad it that isn't long enough add black plastic spacers. I see their current pad has a hard top I believe I have an older one that is soft on top. I'd make you a heck of a deal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could use a spacer then a new thicker pad. Both would have to be ground to fit.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'-5" and LOP measured by the trigger finger to inner elbow method is 15.5 inches.

Good luck.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It is much better to make a hard spacer out of plastic the same color as the base of the existing recoil pad.

If you take off the old pad and it is 1" thick replace it with a 1.5" pad and make the plastic spacer to match that base color.

Just match up the holes in the stock to the spacer and new pad and then epoxy the pad to the spacer. Use the pad screws to clamp it to the stock until the epoxy dries.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank an vip. I think that is the way most people have told me to do it ... so I will do it that way.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
maybe a little out in left field - there are the competition style adjustable butt plates that can really stretch things out. They start out somewhere around 1" think. He can adjust it to whatever fits him. Also can adjust between a winter coat and a summer t-shirt.

Chris

Chris K'nerr
Riflerestorer.com
(678)770-4274

Posts: 8 | Location: Acworth, Georgia, USA | Registered: 11 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Try feeding it ice cream and donuts. I know they make my wife's but longer/wider.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells hard plastic spacer blanks. You can stack more than one if needed. To add spacers and maintain the angles of the stock you will need to fit a larger recoil pad.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Ken Rucker's Bump-Buster to extend LOP. Here is the web http://speedbumpstockworks.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote