Find
Notify
Tools

Which one?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I was at a gunshow last weekend & found a box of RWS 9.3x64 ammo for $25.00. Not having a rifle in this caliber was no reason to pass up this bargin!
[Big Grin] After I get my prize home that ammo starts whispering..wildcat me wildcat me... Well I start fiddling around with the reloading dies & came up with these; a .338x64 & a .358x64 by simply necking the case down with no other change. Which do you think would be better?
 -

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
Both look nice. I think the 358x64 would make a nice moose round. And the 338x64 looks like it would beat the 338-06. If those ever went commercial, I think you would have better luck with the 338x64, as the 338 is more popular than the 358.

<David Boren>
posted
Oh yeah. You should get a rifle in 9.3x64 and get it rebarreled for the 358x64. Then find a safe way to work up some load data for that round. It would make a nice custom rifle.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Like David suggests, I'd say use the 338 with a better bullet selection.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338x64 sounds really good. Good Luck

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Since the 9.3x64 is the parent case of the .376 Steyr, why not neck it up to 9.5mm (.375") and have a beltless equivalent (or better) to the .375 H&H?

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I was trying to go the other way; smaller bullet diameter & more readly available bullets.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
Yes, the 338x64 would most likely go farther in the way of commercial selling. And would offer a much larger bullet selection.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And this would differ from the .338 WinMag in what manner?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill

It would be rimless [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. available bullets aside: get 320 grainers from woodleigh and use it as is ( how many 9.3x64 owners do you know - personally not from this board? ).

It should outpenetrate most chamberings.

Anyway: have fun! Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ditto Mike you're spot on; no belt. That is the intent & it feeds realllly smoothly in a Mauser 98. [Wink] What company make 9.3x64 brass other than RWS?

[ 09-02-2002, 17:15: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

It has always amazed me that with all the talk of rimless cases that people have not seen the 9.3 X 64 case dimensions.

I wonder if there is anyone out there turning the belts of 338 Winchester cases [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yep that case is a real sleeper. It's too bad that it is not more readily available. I bet that without too much trouble I can get 4 of the big Brenneke cases in a M98 magazine too. I can ALMOST do it as is.