New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 wm recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi I have a 338wm in rem 700 it also has a brake which is removeable . the question i have is do they make a recoil pad that will take the bite out of this gun .i have looked at some they just dont look like they work all that well.I would like to use with out the brake for more than one reason just dont like to get the snot knocked out of me .thanks Bob

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I find that my .338 WM treats me as kindly as my .375 H&H

A 1" decelerator pad helps.....but in the end you're going to get used to it or give it up.

Practice standing instead of sitting on the bench...it's really not too bad when you shoot ten rounds a day for ten days.

Also practice with lighter bullets....210 grains will help.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Wby Vangard with the plastic stock. Before
I even shot it I had Mike Scherz install the brake. It still
kicked like a mule. I had ordered a laminated JRS stock
fromBoyds. Ron Prichard did the wood work Glass bedding
with aluminum pillars, and installed a Kick Ease pad, now
it is a pussycat. What wonders a stock will do.

Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good pad will help but if the rifle stock is a poor fit for you, then you are just wasting time. Think about the stock in terms of fit, ask yourself what would make it fit you better. The Sims pads work about like the Pachmayr Decelerator, so take your pic there. Some of the guys here really like the Pachmayr red recoil pads. I think they are model 752b's.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
.338 Win Mag recoil doesn't bother me, about the same as the 9,3x62's I'm used to. Furthermore, since I've put my Win 70 in a Hogue overmolded stock,the thick recoil pad makes it nearly comfortable.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with what's been said. The recoil is something that you'll have to get used to or get rid of the gun. I don't mind the recoil of my 338. It's a Browning A Bolt, stainless stalker. I think it has less recoil than my 300 win in an A Bolt classic hunter. That's just me I guess. I know my 338 shots well. I can shoot under an inch with 210 grain Partitions. Plenty good enough.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bob,

If the recoil only bothers you when shooting from a bench, get a slip-on recoil pad (Pachmayr makes a good one). It will soak up quite a bit of the recoil, but will extend the length of pull. Another option (my preference) is to get a PAST recoil shield, which is worn over your shoulder.

For a more permanent solution, get a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Find someone with a large bore rifle, 458 or above, then go shoot it, then shoot your 338. It won't kick as much anymore. My son used to flinch with his 06. After shooting the 470 a few times and likeing it, he doesn't pay any attention to the 06 anymore.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars hit the nail on the head...I shoot so many big bores that a 416, 404 are like shooting a 270 to me...I call it the appreciation factor

I doubt that a recoil pad will help much if the recoil is bothering you, you need to learn to tolerate recoil as it will not hurt you phyically, only mentally and you can overcome that...

I always liked what Jack Belk always said, A recoil pad only gives the gun a running start at your shoulder!!

A rifle properly held (tight to the shoulder) is confined to a push not a hit IMO..

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting lars and definately true. I always find it amusing that North American writers and writers from Africa recommend shooting light recoiling rifles to promote accurate placement. The funny part is that the American recommends the 270 while the African extols the virtues of the 375 in regards to "shootable" rifles.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'll also add a vote to shoot a big rifle, and your 338 won't kick at all. If you don't go that route, a past magnum shoulder pad takes the sting out of all guns on the bench. You'll still know it goes off, but no sting.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok you guys are right the recoil does only bother me at the bench.as for shooting a big bore i do belive my 870 with 31/2 shells comes close to that so i will pass this is enough to rattle my brain . i guess i will have to just suck it up and hold on so i dont get another one of those nice smiley faces over my eye. i also will look into one of those pads . thanks Bob

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I agree with what's been said. The recoil is something that you'll have to get used to or get rid of the gun. I don't mind the recoil of my 338. It's a Browning A Bolt, stainless stalker. I think it has less recoil than my 300 win in an A Bolt classic hunter. That's just me I guess. I know my 338 shots well. I can shoot under an inch with 210 grain Partitions. Plenty good enough.

Bob257

I agree 100% !!! I have a Browning Composite Stalker in .338 Win. I also had the identical gun in .300 Win. I always felt that the .300 had more recoil and that it was a lot sharper. A .338 Mag is nothing for recoil to those of us that must use 12 gauge slug guns for deer. Now you're talking some recoil !!!

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 338 win mag in Rugers best.The barrel is alot heavier than Winchester or Remington.I use past pad and shoot from a standing bench.I have shot two of my 338s one day about 300 times.I shot my 416 rem mag about 125 times after that the same day.I take a milk crate and put a 35 pound bull bag on top of it.Thats my standing bench shooting.I have shot way better at game ever scence I started shooting that way.My winchester 338 has a straw barrel.It does kick but i use boss on it if I am shooting it alot.The 338 in the Rugers seems like heavy 20 ga load the 416 is funner to shoot than most shotguns.The worst gun I ever shot 7mm STW felt like a hammer kicking me.I think 300 mags have same kinda kick.My sweetest shooting 338 caliber is my Weatherby 338-378 with the brake on.Its very smooth shooting.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
The only gun that has ever bothered me is my .416 after 15 rounds from the bench while sighting it in.

My .338 has never seemed bad. Even off the bench.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Where do you shoot? I have a Sako FinnBear .338 with a McMillan stock and Decelerator pad; if you'd like to try out a Decelerator-equipped rifle, we could meet at your range or mine (once the weather warms up a bit ).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
One more recommendation for the Past Magnum Recoil Shield that you slip on over your shoulder with a shoulder holster style strap to hold it on. It really makes shooting the boomers off the bench a lot more pleasant.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi George i sent you an email ok guys as for selling my gun that is out of the question i still can put the brake on it and wear ear plugs all the time . thanks for all the good suggestions . Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need more eye relief w/scoped sights and a recoil pad since the rifle will slide back more. Don't overlook the Limbsaver recoil pads. I have found them at least equal to the Decelerators.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Reed,

It seems that everyone else has mentioned the Decelerator recoil pad that I added to my Winchester .338 with its synthetic stock. It does help I'm sure. Changing the pad was required when I had a "Dead Mule" recoil device [like the Mercury recoil devices] installed in the stock. It seems to have made a huge difference. The rifle does have the B.O.S.S. on it too, which I'm sure helps too [it is a WONDERFUL invention for a couple of reasons].
But the rifle was no fun to shoot until the "Dead Mule" was installed and the trigger was adjusted from the factory 7 3/4 lbs. to a nice crisp 3 1/2 lbs. The trigger may have had as much to do with it as the other stuff. At any rate I go to the .338 for almost everything now - it's sort of a plinker after I've put the .375 away for the day. It has served me well on plains game in South Africa.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the Past Magnum Recoil pad strapped on, the 338 isn't all that brutal off the bench. It a lot more of a good thing than a small bore, but it's actually more "fun" than paterning my 12ga for turkey season with 3 1/2" magnums with 2 1/4oz of #5 shot!

Shooting most heavy kickers in the field is rarely an issue, but bench testing is still part of the deal. The best solution is to use a sissy bag between the recoil pad and your shoulder. I'll use mine if I'm going to be shooting magnums off the bench all day. You'll still know you've been shooting, but won't come home all beat up.

As mentioned above, lightening the trigger to a more reasonable let off makes good sense. Nothing causes flinch more than anticipation.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote