Find
Notify
Tools

mauser bbl to Rem conversion?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
Is there anyway you can modify a barrle set up and threaded for a 98 mauser to fit on a remington 700/721 action? I think I remember being told that it would work, maybe I have it backwards?

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I think the 98 has 1.1" dia shank and 12V and the Rem is 1.05" and 16v. I would think you cut the shank off the Rem and start over.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you probably heard is that people are using Remington take off barrels and rethreading them to fit Turk 98s with the small ring threads.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make a Lg Ring Mauser fit a Rem by turning the existing thread shank down to size, then rethreading, cutting the bolt recess, and rechambering to corrrect head space.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can make a Lg Ring Mauser fit a Rem by turning the existing thread shank down to size, then rethreading, cutting the bolt recess, and rechambering to corrrect head space

Is there enough metal to get full threads? Learn something new every day.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is not enough metal left to get full threads.

To clean the threads up on a LR 98 would take .080". That would leave 1.020.

A little shy of what you need for a Rem. 1.050

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woops, my mistake. Mauser threads are .080 deep so you would have to take .160 off the total diameter.

That would leave .940. Way too small th rethread for a Rem.

Rojelio

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, I don't know why someone would want to go thru all the work of making a barrel from one action fit another, what with the availibility of barrels both new and used at low prices. Back when I was a kid shooters didn't have access to all the stuff they do today and we would sometimes go to extremes to make something work. Having said all that, there is a way. It's called an outsert. It's not something that a casual shooter should try but somebody with experience and a good lathe can do it. Basically you add a steel sleeve to the outside of the barrel tenon and then thread and fit in the usual way. To keep somebody out of trouble I won't go into any more detail than that.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok Ray, it can just be your secret.

Rojelio