New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action for .284 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Opinions please. What would be the best redily available bolt action for a hunting weight .284 Win? Puah feed vrs controled feed not an issue. Reliable feeding and accuracy paramount.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 24/47 would be a good candidate. Definitely not a nickle steel Springfield, that's got .280 written all over it. Perhaps a nice pre-64 M70 that hasn't seen the woods in a long time?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, I have a big new vault to fill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Mex Mauser or a Winchester SA, both would make a nice 284

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Short action Montana 99 works very well and has plenty of room for seating bullets out as far as you like. My 25-284 is on one.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Short action Montana 99 works very well and has plenty of room for seating bullets out as far as you like. My 25-284 is on one

I always felt the 284 was handicaped by some of the short actions it was built on. It has good capacity for a 7mm why fill it with lead and not powder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just happen to have a 1909 Argentine that is practically new with a beautiful piece of wood. It feeds great and is a 1/2-4/4" rifle. It could be yours for a lot less than you can build one. Yes, it is a 284.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a highly customized 25-284 built on a Mauser 98 action.

Great cartridge, very accurate.

If I was building it over, I would use a push-feed action due to the rebated rim of the cartridge.

The Winchester push-feed Model 70's are pretty reasonably priced....I'd go with one of them.
Very smooth action too.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished barreling and modifying a 1909 for the 6.5 x 284. The action is perfect for this one and the straight 284 or 25 variation. The factor being the mag box is long enough for the setting the bullets out to max length and gaining powder space and velocity. The throat needs to be lengthened also. The rails need work but once done correctly, the cartridge feeds like a "snake through a sewer pipe".

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replys. Special thanks to Mr. Lambert for the offer, but putting them together myself is most of the fun. I really like the pushfeed M70 idea because the right magazine box means no rail work, and because the one in .338 Win i have now is one of the best feeding rifles I have. Thanks again for the opinions.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Short action Montana 99 works very well and has plenty of room for seating bullets out as far as you like. My 25-284 is on one

I always felt the 284 was handicaped by some of the short actions it was built on. It has good capacity for a 7mm why fill it with lead and not powder.

Deep throat!
BINGO thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote