New
Find
Notify
Tools

who uses a Lyman 48 in the field?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I always thought a Springfield with a Lyman 48 was a cool rifle, but when I got one I found I banged my knuckles while working th ebolt. Am I just a spaz or does this happen to eveyrone? This is why I am thinking of selling the 2 that I have.

Also, I just got Michael Petrov's book and noticed that the overwhelming majority of the the early customs in the book had Lyman 48's, or at least something similar. I had no idea they were so popular 70 years ago.

BTW-I can heartily recommend MP's book to anyone who is interested in early US custom gunmaking.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with some receiver sights, banging my knuckles that is. A lot of course depends upon bolt design. I find that a straight (up & down) bolt makes this worse as does a short handle length. The bolts that are swept back seem to work better for me.

In the days of old when these sights were popular most scopes weren't sealed like today's scopes. Consequently they were prone to fogging. So even scoped rifles were often found with a receiver sight installed. That's also why many rifles wore side mounts like the G&H & Jaeger.

I think peep sights are under rated today. For the ranges that most game animals are taken at they work just as well for me. Now, over 200 yds, which I rarely shoot at, I'd like a scope.

My 9.3x62 is being built around a Lyman #35 sight.

If you plan a short to medium range rifle a receiver sight will allow for a much lighter rifle than a scope will.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have peep sights on Springfields, Marlins, a 30S Remington, a Winchester 70, a Sako and several FNs. But as I get older I now need a scope to shoot a good group.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 48 on my Remington 30S, in 458 Lott. I have never had any problems with it getting in my way, working the bolt. I have never heard anyone who shot this rifle say their fingers raked against the sight.

My second 30S is going to be a 375 H&H, it will also keep it's Lyman 48 sight and will get a G&H scope mount. This is to let the receiver sight stay in place with the scope mounted.

I will take a ghost ring receiver sight any day over an express sight on the barrel. They are faster to accuire and you see more of what you are shooting at.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Lyman 48's on 3 rifles- 2 Springfields (one '06 sporter and one original M1922M2) and a Mauser Guild gun with a G&H side mount. No skinned knuckles here.
I work the bolt pretty much with the palm of my hand. I think if you work at it you'll come up with a method that suits you and leaves your knuckles intact.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one on a M94, worked well till the eyes got too old. Sold the rifle, but kept the sight for some reason. Still have a Williams 5D on an original Marlin '94 in 25-20. Works fine for short range small game hunting.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My second 30S is going to be a 375 H&H, it will also keep it's Lyman 48 sight and will get a G&H scope mount. This is to let the receiver sight stay in place with the scope mounted.
Hog Killer

I'm in the process of fitting a scope to my 35 Rem. 30s. It has the Lyman 48 mounted but it looks as though it was factory D&T'd (Remington did offer scope mount holes as an option) two holes in the front and one in the rear. I was told it was drilled for Buehler mount, I did find a mount that's labeled for the "Enfield 17 (Rem. M30)" but the rear hole is off by about an 1/8". I'm going to have fill the hole and redrill and if I relieve the corner a RCH I can leave the 48 base in place.

BTW how's the wood metal fit on thr rear tang on your 30's? Mine is relieved about 1/16".

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW how's the wood metal fit on thr rear tang on your 30's? Mine is relieved about 1/16".

On both of mine, the wood stands a little bit high.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
quote:

On both of mine, the wood stands a little bit high.

Hog Killer

Much of a gap between the rear of the tang and the wood?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Both have about a thumb nails gap or so. I can live with it, as the Lott is tightly bedded to the stock. Both the action and barrel recoil lug. The other one will have the action bedded, as it will only be a 375H&H. About the only way to get a perfect fitting stock is to have a custom one made and that will run at least 1K and up. I'll make do with reworked factory stocks, for now.

Hog Killer

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
One other thing about these stocks. I like the dimentions and looks of the later made 30S's. For me, my 458 Lott is the most comfortable recoiling of the Lotts I have shot. (4) as of now.

Hog Killer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concur with gnoahh above. I have used two Springfields for years with a Lyman 48. I always work the bolt by opening it with the left side of my palm. Pull it back with my palm and fingers. Thrust it forward and close it with my palm and base of my thumb.

It is faster, provides positive control of the bolt, and I never bang my knuckles.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so the answers to this thread support what I figured al along- I am a spaz!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

Nothing sitting in front of the tube and cycling/dry firing a couple of nights can't fix. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

Nothing sitting in front of the tube and cycling/dry firing a couple of nights can't fix. Wink

I'm probably the only looney-tune to think this is a good idea, but I LIKE to practice with my bolt guns while STANDING in ftont of the TV.

First I make DANGED SURE the gun is completely empty. Then I practice cycling the bolt with the rifle at my shoulder and snapping shots off at chosen targets on the boob tube.

The advantages I see come from a couple of things...

1, It does really teach one how to cycle the bolt without removing the rifle from the shoulder(or banging the knuckles), and

2 The scenes on most TV shows change very rapidly. So, one learns to find a particular target on the screen and shoot quickly...otherwise the target is gone.

Finding a particular target is important ...not just a shot at a whole TV or a whole deer, but a particular spot on the TV screen...or or on the deer when in the field.......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote