New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Adjusting a timney sportsman trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thank you for taking the time to try to help me out Spencer.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could some here scan the instructions for one of these triggers or post the directions for a 98? Mine is letting the pin follow the bolt down after less than 20 shots, second trigger(not installed by me) to go out of adjustment in a week!
Timney doesn't have anyone answering the phone or returning calls.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a very broad description of your problem, however what I believe you mean is that the gun fires upon the bolt closing.
In this case, there is a good chance your creep adjustment screw is adjusted too fine and the lock nut is not properly tightened.
What I do is also put a drop of nail polish after I have everything adjusted on the screw and it locks it in place.
Timney's answer when I asked why he does not answer the phone:
"I can either talk or make triggers."
He is not a bitter man, just devoted to his work and that is how he runs his business.

I thought there were diagrams on my website, but regardless I have every trigger I can get on my website, and I have just gotten a couple of $400 shipments in during the last few weeks.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spencer,

I just need them to send me the instructions which should be on their website in the first place. If they are not going to answer the phone or return messages then they should not have a customer service line and mailbox, maybe I will find another company to do business with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not blame you if this is what you decide, however, I am sure, when properly adjusted, you will be more than happy with your trigger despite the company's practices.
I searched for about an hour and could not find Timney's instructions.
I did, however find some basic instructions on how to adjust the factory trigger, which is basically the same.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp

I skimmed these instructions and they seem to cover what to watch out for so you can fix what your previous incompetent 'gunsmiths' screwed up.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
E-mail me your address & I'll drop the instructions in the mail.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote