Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help w/ glass bedding
 Login/Join

posted
I hve a Rem. 700 youth s/a stock that I want to bed as it produces alternating shots at approx 1 1/2" at a 45 degree angle from high left to low right. (Note: when inserting the action in the youth stock, it seems really tight on the tang end and must be pulled into the stock with the rear screw.)When I change to the orig. fact. stock the same tendicies remain but are (more)acceptable. I have some accraglass gel bedding compound but I am wondering where I need to apply it and where to remove material from the stock. I planned to remove the two pads at the foreend of the stock and float the barrell but,it seems like I have read here before that you should put tape or some type of shim on the bottom and front of the recoil lug. Is this correct or any other advice would be appreciated. I have never previously bedded a rifle so any help for beginners will be helpful.
Thanks,

Posts: 18 | Location: Tx. | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the problem is that the action is too tight and binding in the inletting, adding acraglass will not cure it. You need to remove the part of the stock inletting that is causing the bind. Doing that is not difficult, but it requires some inletting screws to keep the action staight, inletting black or similar for marking the tight spots and a few of chisels, gouges and/or scrapers for removing the offending stock material.

A trap shooter once told me "they ain't hard to hit, they're just easy to miss". Stock inletting is the same. It isn't hard to do it right but it's a lot easier to do it wrong.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is a Rem. factory synthetic stock, if I sand down the areas where the action is binding, do you recommend that I proceed to remove the two small pads at the foreend to the stock which contacts the barrell and then float the barrell?

Posts: 18 | Location: Tx. | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You can check by removing the little pads, and then shooting groups, putting something under the barrel again and shooting groups. If it shoots better with something under the barrel, then rebuild those pads.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote