New
Find
Notify
Tools

Receiver Sight for Pre-War J.P. Sauer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would be an appropriate receiver sight for my J.P. Sauer Mauser? It has one of those octagon to round integrally ribbed barrels with a tall blade front sight. Would like something of similar vintage yet not cost me an arm and a leg.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Lyman 35, about $250-$300 if you can find one.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, I have one of the pre WW1 Saurer sporters too. If you can find a 'one cent' sale for two of the reveiver sights, count me in. Mine is an octogan to round also, 1 fixed and 1 folding. It's shooting about 7 inches high at 50 yards. I don't want to drill holes at this point, so I'll either have to add a receiver sight (maybe a bolt peep) or have a taller front installed. Neat, handy rifles, aren't they?
Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
You might consult Gary Fellers on finding a receiver sight. he's right there in Central TX, Waco or Temple, I believe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is Gary Fellers phone number.
817-346-9633

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobc, I am just north of Houston, we're neighbors... Have you seen the 9x57 Mauser at Collectors with the Rigby bolt peep? I would almost kill for that sight. Mine has already been drilled and topped prior to my ownership. The bore was shot though the rest is reall ynice. I had it rebored to 35 Whelen. Yes, these Sauer's are dandy's.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, no, haven't been by collectors for a while. Why don't you come to the AR shooting day at American Shooting Center on June 14, 9 am. I'll have my Sauer 35 Whelen there. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will not hurt the value of the gun to D&T on the side of a rear ring...It will hurt the value to D&T on top of the receiver has been my experience....so why not pick up a period Lyman or Redfield, they are easy to come by and won't break the bank....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobc, yes I was considering that shoot if I am in town that weekend. Trying to line up the brass and dies to load for my new 416 Rigby and attend. My Sauer is a 35 Whelen as well.

Ray, which Redfield or Lyman model? The Lyman 35 is obviously nice but I can't see spending more on the sight than I did for the rifle...