New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako AV action?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
What's the word on the street about these actions? Good, bad, otherwise. Advantages, disadvantages, etc. TIA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they're great. I have nine of them.
Sturdy, decent triggers and McMillan makes a great stock to put them in. Good looking actions as well.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a Sako Hunter on an AV in .30-06 - so I guess I'm kind of sentimental about them. Very smooth, formed the basis for a straight shooting rifle, very decent trigger for a factory job, integral scope bases, not crazy about the safety.

I later acquired a second AV. In contrast to my first, it had a 2-piece bottom metal. But other than that, worked just as well.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I purchased a Sako AV that had been rebarrelled/rechambered to a .425 Express. I do not know any history of the rifle. I have shot 20 rounds of A-Square ammo through it; 400 gr. @ 2400 fps. The action is very smooth and the rifle is very accurate for the caliber. I don't know if this is the function of Sako or the gunsmith that did the work. If all Sako's are this smooth, I would highly recommend them. By the way, this rifle is a thumper. I doubt if I will ever get to Africa; maybe I can hunt large bear here in North America.

"Big ears doesn't make you a good listener, but big feet will tell on you." - Mr. Bill Clinton

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote