New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Stock Oil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have anyone ever used Scherell's shaftol as an exclusive oil on a raw wood gunstock?
How does it set-up? Does it need anything else, like a wax finsh?
I've alwayed used Lin-speed and was never satisfied with the final finsh. Just wondering.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll notice some German guns have a completely unfilled finish...you'll get the same result with soaking coats of Schaftol They also make many shades to a deep red. I kind of think there might be a fair amount of silicone...once you get used to it...good suff!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Schaftol red as a wood toner much as alkanet stain reddens a stock. I then overfinish with Tru Oil or Pro Custom in the usual manner to get a filled surface.

On it's own Scahftol does not give a grain filled finish as Duane pointed out. It does give a non reflective surface but does not give you much for weather resistance in my use of it on it's own. Frequent applications during continuing use of the rifle is restorative but doesn't change the nature of the finish.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.schaftol.de/English/body_english.html

Any where in usa where you can buy this stuff?

Like to check it out as a Red toner or stain

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP7: Can't say for the States but a gunsmith in the lower mainland of B.C., near Vancouver carries it. He does business as either "Bits of Pieces" or "Bits and Pieces". Do a web search for those and you should find it. I have Schaftol from him in red, dark brown, clear and Premium Gold. The latter will dry to a light surface film but it does not seem very durable.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote