New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southbend lathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a used Southbend 9x36 and am wondering if this would work for most simple barrel work: cutting, crowning, etc. It would be just for a hobby and mainly for convenience since I don't get to town much. Also what is a rough price estimate for one of these.
Thanks for the help

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a typical 9" South Bend with at least 36" between centers then it will be fine for you. IF, I repear IF, you don't have to buy any extra tooling. You will need a 3-jaw universal chuck & a 4-jaw independent chuck & a faceplate for the headstock and I would strongly suggest a Jacobs chuck for the tailstock. If it does not have a quick-change gearbox then you need to make sure that all the extra gears are included with it. It will almost certainly have a lotta wear in one spot on the ways and may need a new half-nut or other minor parts due to wear. After all, you gotta consider that the owner probably replaced it 'cause it was worn out (G).

Price? I don't have any feel for machine tool prices, I live in a non-industrial state. Some folks have even called it a third-world country...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what the ad says.
9x36", 3 and 4 jaw chucks, turret tool post, 3c collet closer, 120 volt motor, on sb stand. this is a change gear lathe $1200

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South bend lathes have an active forum, loaded with information. With a serial number you can find out the date of manufacture and original configuration. The collet closer a nice add.

I ahve no idea about the availability of small machines in your area, but I would guess they are not found as often, and are worth more than in the lower 48. South Bend lathes and parts are now being made again by the guy who owns Grizzly tools.
http://www.practicalmachinist....orumdisplay.php?f=25

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the lathe is in Anchorage I would be happy to have a look at it for you. I have a South Bend tool room lathe made in the 40's.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIWY I'd buy that lathe in a heartbeat! Good luck, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1946 model toolroom 9x36..Wouldn't give it up at any price. Any "wear" is probably towards the headstock..you'll be working one or two feet back in most cases...

But...do appreciate the post re new parts

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Duane, if I'd bought that lathe new like you did I wouldn't want to let go of it either Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote