THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who's the best gunsmith in washington state?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
whts everyone's opinion on gunsmiths in wash. to build a rifle, 375 ruger on a pre 64 action and a tupperware stock.(i love wood but don't treat my rifles good enough I.E. scatch and dent)

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The best gunsmith in Washington state doesn't work on tupperware stocks. I don't know who second best is.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Wink is referring to Roger Biesen, make it a big +1, especially on a pre-64.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
If Wink is referring to Roger Biesen, make it a big +1, especially on a pre-64.

I'm not sure Roger Biesen is the best 'smith in Washington State. His Father once held that title but Roger is far from his Father in talent.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell don't have any fleas!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
So the list gets longer. I was thinking of Duane Wiebe.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger may not be quite the stockmaker that his father was but he is a better machinist. Duane Wiebe, Mark Stratton, Ed LaPour, Jim Dubell would do an equal job for you on the metalwork.
Stick it in tupperware yourself.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being that I have had some work done by him, and have handled a few of his pieces Roger Biesen would be at the top of my list, especially where a pre 64 is concerned. As to the plastic stock Chic hit it on the head put it on yourself, but do yourself a favor and have Roger make you a lower grade wood one as you will be pleased with the result and it will be tuffer(?sp) and nicer looking than you think.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude....... tupperware? That pre-64 is deserving of at least a McMillan.

The others are right on the money regarding smiths for the metal work.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, tupperware by any other name is still....................... Smiler You going to make it back to Reno?

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For your work Jim Cloward would be the man.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10at6, is Jim still working?

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
True words spoken about synthetics..

Gosh its been four years since I was last out there. I'm trying my best to get out there this year. Probably will know within the next week.

Poulsbo,

Like Idahoelk said, good walnut is pretty tough, doesn't melt when exposed to the elements and wears well.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you make it. It would be good to see you again.

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
10at6, is Jim still working?

My friend had some M-70 work done and returned within the last 2 months, so I think he's still working. He does good work and in all aspects of the trade.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed Lapour:
1. Is highly skilled in metal and stocks
2. Fully understands the necessity of absolutely reliable feeding and extraction, and assures same in his products.
3. Is a gentleman, patient, and listens carefully to his customers.
4. Is a member of the American Custom Gunsmith Guild, meaning his work has been carefully examined by the best in the business.
5. Will not roll his eyes or sneer when you ask him for a synthtic stock.
Happy New Year

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poulsbo, if you live in the town bearing your name, you are not far from Ed. He lives in Bremerton. BTW, I don't think any of the guys on my list will roll their eyes when you ask for a synthetic stock. I would venture that most of them will fit your metalwork to a synthetic stock. Duane, may not want to do it but it would not hurt to ask, he is in Tacoma. Mark is in Lynwood. And all of them are equally skilled at feeding and are also all in the guild.

Keeps us informed of your progress, it sounds interesting.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I second the endorsement for Ed Lapour's metalwork. He is currently finishing a barreled action for me in 35 Whelen on an Argentine Mauser action. Full blown metal work with Krieger barrel, Blackburn drop box trigger guard, Blackburn trigger, square bridge scope bases, shortened tang with blind screw hole, welded thumb cut, and other work. Should have it in three weeks.

I also have a beautiful high power competition rifle in 6BR built by Cloward on a Pre 64 Model 70 with an english walnut Dunlop/Cloward stock. He does good work, but there are others in Washington who are better and are easier to deal with. I would have Cloward do work on competition rifles if I could avoid dealing with him directly.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote