THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-crowning a barrel with banded front sight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a nice old Sako AIV .375 H&H with the barrel band style front sight and rear sight mounted on a quarter rib. It is in need of re-crowning. I have had two local gunsmiths decline the job because they just wanted to chuck it in their lathe but the quarter rib and barrel band don't allow that. Is there another common and effective way to re-crown? Your advice and experience welcome.

Posts: 235 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Brownells and Midway USA sell kits for the DIY'er, worse comes to worse a fairly decent job can be had with a round head brass screw and some kind of lapping compound with a steady hand.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should not be a problem if the lathe has a big enough bore to accept the barrel and dial it in correctly.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I re-crown a 95 7mm with a grinding ball with a drill press.

Worked well don't know if I would try it on anything other then a free rifle. Eeker

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Manson of Manson Precision Reamers sells a precision muzzle crowning kit, he makes quality products and is an AR member.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Manson crowning kit. Not my preferred method but it is very handy when the barrel doesn't fit through the headstock because of integral sights. One could also pull the barrel, hold onto the threads with a three jaw and use a steady rest just behind the banded front sight.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
It should not be a problem if the lathe has a big enough bore to accept the barrel and dial it in correctly.[/QUOTE

Good advice from a gunsmith. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
+1 on the Manson crowning kit. Not my preferred method but it is very handy when the barrel doesn't fit through the headstock because of integral sights. One could also pull the barrel, hold onto the threads with a three jaw and use a steady rest just behind the banded front sight.

And then a re-blue! Use a spider/cathead instead!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And then a re-blue! Use a spider/cathead instead!

Jim Kobe, for those of us not in the trade, what is a spider/cathead? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.bing.com/images/se...cathead%22&FORM=IGRE

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's it, second row center. It is clamped on the barrel and indicated in to run concentric with the bore. Then mounted in the steady.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good gunsmith can crown your barrel,under those circumstances, that is not a problem if they know what they are doing and have the proper equipment..even if the barrel band front sight is flush with the crown, which it should not be..should protrude about a quarter of an inch or maybe a bit less, unless you get real English then more, but I don't care for that look...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living in a tiny and remote community like I do, I restored to desperate measures. Took a glass marble ( childs toy) smeared it with scope ring lapping compound, and ground the muzzle crown by hand for 2o minutes or so, refreshing the lapping compound as needed. Results were obvious and looked satisfactory. I had taken care to make sure no lapping compound got down the bore and cleaned everything thoroughly after. Four shot 100 yd. group size with the same 300 gr. handload went from 3" or so to about 1-1/2". I'm satisfied with that result, so my search is over.

Posts: 235 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a similar crown polish in a rifle my son tripped and fell with.
I welded a piece of rod to a couple different sized ball bearings and used an alluminum oxide grit, finished off with lapping compound. The steel rod allowed use of a high speed drill.

Sometimes your better off going DIY

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote