New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocks, where?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As you might have read I am building a budget Mauser. I'm using a Zastava action that I believe was made before the war/embargo and a Shaw 280 barrel. I have a Boyds unfinished stock, but I want checkering. My gunsmith does excellent metal work but admits that he is not/doesn't like a wood worker. Where can I find a decent relatively inexpensive stock? I want wood, preferably walnut and some simple checkering. The one on the CDL that my friend has would be perfect if I could find one like it that would fit a Mauser.As far as price, somewhere around $2-300. Again I'm not looking for big buck custom, just a decent stock with checkering. Any suggestions? capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just finish the Boyd's and send it off to someone who does checkering?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a stock go to www.coreliteprecision.com they have all kinds of stocks and are the former Fajen gunstock co. and have qualilty stuff. Hope i helped. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Battenfeld doesnt have any classic stocks , just butt ugly thumbhole crap and such . I called them trying to see if they would bring back the Fajen Euro and just get a dead end no.

Bunch of AR members should call and ask to talk to the Owner and see if they will make some disireable, classic stocks again instad of the garbage patterns they are making.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm looking into dropping a really clean Turk 38 Kirkale action with a Shaw 6.5x55 barrel into a stock from Accurate Innovations (www.accurateinnovations.com). They build walnut and laminate stocks to fit the M98 and use a machined pillar-bedding block to bolt them into with a free-floated barrel. Pretty too. Good luck!

Shael.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Battenfeld doesnt have any classic stocks, just butt ugly thumbhole crap and such. Bunch of AR members should call and ask to talk to the Owner and see if they will make some disireable, classic stocks again instead of the garbage patterns they are making.

A-men! R. Fajen would be rolling in his grave to see the stuff his name is being used on!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try D&D gunsmiths in Troy (clawson), Mi. They do alot of stocks. I'm not sure of thier pricing , but it is worth a try: 248.583.1512

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want simple good checkering give Ahlman's in Morristown Minnesota a call. I believe they have a website as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a guy in Missoula Montana who does decent work at a reasonable price. If you are intersted I'll get his name. He has done a good bit of work for a friend of mine who is highly pleased, and he is not easily pleased!

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, my bad. You need the stock first. Richards Microfit on the web. I think it is gunstocks.com. I got their classic pattern 35 years ago and I got one last year for a M70 375 in laminate. The contour is straight classic. There will be some woodwork involved, but the contours are beautiful to my eye. Eased up the recoil on the 375 too.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
captdavid,
Send it up to Bill Soverns. He is a stockmaker for Butch Searcy and works in Sturgis, South Dakota. He does excellent work at a reasonable price. If you want a contact for him, pm me.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a Accurate Innovations for around three hundred bucks.
http://www.accurateinnovations.com/golden_hunter.html

They are listed higher on their site, but go thru dealers and I think they are cheaper. The 24hourCampfire has them listed for $300 I believe.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He won't do it for you, but, he turns lot's of stocks for people all over the country and was the stock making instructor for 37 yrs at Trinidad Gun School. I'd bet he could give you some names around your area. Which would make a lot more sense than Minn, SD etc.

Ed Shulin 719/846-2301

Good luck,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote