New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock work suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have found a 25-06 Ruger #1 that is being punched out to 257 Weatherby. I want to re-stock the thing with a peice of mesquite. The mesquite I have is a bit iffy and what I am looking for is one of you guys who has a duplicator and might be willing to work with me a little bit. I just want the blank cut to fit the rifle and some general shaping done, then I want to rasp it down to fit myself. Here is a picture of a stock that I want to generally match, just not quite this much drop.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Donnie Gemes at Show-Me Gunstocks and talk with him.

Show-Me Gunstocks
PO Box 97
Warsaw, MO 65355
(660) 438-4568

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim, I'll give him a call this week and see what he thinks. I'd sure like to get this Ruger stocked in mesquite. It'd be most cool.

Josh

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
If you think your Mesquite is iffy, you may want to look here!?
http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax, I have looked at those Old Tree screwbean blanks and everythng they have is plenty plain. The blanks I have are honey mesquite and were cut from my ranch and locally. They are going to be much flashier, but may require some filing of wind cracks. Hopefully I can get a few of them shaped and make a decision on which to use.

Thanks,
Josh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,
Being a soveriegn son of the Lone Star State, I have cut a bit of that Texas Mesquite off our family ranch in the Big Bend, and color wise it is the very best. It is darker than the other stuff, a deeper orange/brown with more contrast...

The problem is and you can probably live with it, is sand pockets, and the worms that bore holes in it and die...I had a set of pitol grips with the worm hole filled with black glass and it looked like the worm cut in half, feet and all...They were beautiful, but sold in a hurry because of that worm...

Also some duplicators will have a cat over the sand pockets as it doesn't do the cutters any good...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you caught me. Some of this mesquite has come from my place and the worm holes and wind-shakes are going to have to be filled. The smaller cracks respond well to cyanoacrylic (superglue). I can handle all of that, I just need someone to rough shape the blank and fit it to the #1. I am thinking about sending 3 or 4 blanks and having them all cut the same. That way if I lose one along the way, it is not a huge financial cost.

I am going to take some time and call the Show-me people in MO and see if they are willing to do the work.

Thanks,
Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Donnie today. Looks like we are in the go mode.

Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

Keep us posted. Maybe some before, during and after. I am awaiting a Bastogne M98 stock right now from Donnie.

Jim

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote