Find
Notify
Tools

Should I, or shouldn't I?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I stopped in to my favorite gun shop today and a sweet little slightly used model 700 in 222 remington followed me home, [Big Grin] and can you believe it? My wife said I could keep it! Must be Christmas spirit or something.

Anyway, I was wondering how much trouble it would be to ream it out to a 223 AI? Should I, or shouldn't I? What do you guys think?

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
toomany--

There's plenty of duece M-700s around. It's a good cure for a worn throat, but I'd shoot it as a duece first and see how it does. You may want to abide by the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Damn, Jack; I like the way you think!

Merry Christmas!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't need the extra power, the little 222 is about as sweet a cartridge as they come. I agree with the idea of playing with it like it is and see what you got.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of all the centrefire .22s I've owned over the years...I prefer the .222. Load and shoot it for a while...you might like it. If I want speed, I grab my Swift. But the .222 is the one that gets used the most.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
toomany--

Pick up a RCBS 222 Rem trim die to change 223 brass to 222. All you need is a couple of files. [Smile]

I agree that the 222 is probably the very best 22 CF ever made. It has it all.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quite, accurate, ZERO recoil, and not hard on barrels.

WOOHOO you got a good one. My benchgun is a triple duece.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Just a follow-up note. I took it to the range today and after just a few sighting-in shots this little beauty shot a .6" group--at 200 yards! It may have just been luck as the 100 yard groups were about the same size but many of the shots were touching eachother. Leads me to believe this rifle is a lot better than I am. [Roll Eyes]

Now, I didn't try to repeat the 200 yard group since I was running out of ammo and time but man, what a sweet rifle. [Big Grin]

Thanks for your advice; I think I'll just keep it as-is. [Razz]