Find
Notify
Tools

Advisable to shim a Mauser bridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I had a Erfurt based Mauser bolt action re-worked. There is a bit of "slop" in the bolt at the rear causing some scarring on the handle root where it contacts the cam area a bit. Anyone out there ever epoxy in shims to tighten things up a bit back there? Lugs were seated. A fine Thanksgiving to all. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me that, when the action was re-worked, the bolt was welded or turned down or forged and not properly re-hardened. This is a common problem. The bolt root should be glass hard and not subject to galling. It is the primary extraction cam. Mausers were made loose and the slop is normal. Shimming is not a real option, but I have read a ball plunger arrangement was used in years past thru the rear bridge to tighten things up. I don't have a source or idea or knowledge of exactly how it was done.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mausers are sloppy by design. Yes, the cam and bolt should both be hard, but for sporting use, you probably won't work it enough to make any difference. Just polish the cams, keep them lubed with some moly grease, and don't worry about it. Shimming in that area won't work.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, the cam and bolt should both be hard, but for sporting use, you probably won't work it enough to make any difference.

I disagree. If the handle root is soft it can gall quickly. If it is already galling then it is safe to say that it is too soft.

I would have a good Mauser smith polish it and harden the bolt handle root. Have him take a look at the the cocking cam also. It shouldn't cost more than $25 IWT.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'll probably just dab some graphite lube there and let it go. Thanks guys.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have a good Mauser smith polish it and harden the bolt handle root. Have him take a look at the the cocking cam also. It shouldn't cost more than $25 IWT

You must know a smith that works really cheap.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray
ARe you going to post pics of your new rifle ???

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

You must know a smith that works really cheap.

Yes, I do. And he is darn good, BTW.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Martin:
Hey Ray
ARe you going to post pics of your new rifle ???
Good to hear from you Allen. I will try and post some soon. Email me sometime when you have a minute. I also did a 1936 Mexican in 7X57. Both were completed around the same time. Ray

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Mausers are sloppy by design. Yes, the cam and bolt should both be hard, but for sporting use, you probably won't work it enough to make any difference. Just polish the cams, keep them lubed with some moly grease, and don't worry about it. Shimming in that area won't work.
UPDATE: This certainly is a sloppy one. As I was cleaning it today, I noticed some sharp galling on the tang beside the rear screw. Most was on the right, some was on the left. At this point I may use the Mexican for deer on Monday. Last 2 deer only took one shot. But,.....best to have it and not need it than the opposite.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Sloppy bolt may not be the only cause. Check the shroud lock. Often the safety notch on the back of the bolt is too generous. This allows the shroud to rotate instead of keeping the cocking piece aligned straight up and down. When it rotates, it likes to scuff up the tang like yours.

Lots of folks say that trimming the tang down causes this when in reality if everything else is working properly it is not an issue.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike, There is definitely 2-3 degrees of rotational 'play' in the shroud. I appreciate the help and I'll send you a PD message later. Ray

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I noticed some sharp galling on the tang beside the rear screw. Most was on the right, some was on the left.

Possibly been exaserbated by the usual dressing down of the tang that removes the initial guidance of the cockingpiece at the rear of the tang. A hard and fast chambering atempt can result in a jammed action with the cocking piece trying to ride up on the edge of the tang. Many of us dress the tang down like this but it can lead to this problem.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Possibly been exaserbated by the usual dressing down of the tang that removes the initial guidance of the cockingpiece at the rear of the tang. A hard and fast chambering atempt can result in a jammed action with the cocking piece trying to ride up on the edge of the tang.

The problem is 99% due to the tang being thinned. This is one of the reasons some custom smiths refuse to thin the tang(including Duane Weibe).

Widening the slot(creating a "funnel") after thinning solves the problem(usually).

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would weld up and recut the notch in the bolt. Recut the notch with a few degrees draft in it. One of the little things I do to aid in creating a smooth bolt throw.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Possibly been exaserbated by the usual dressing down of the tang that removes the initial guidance of the cockingpiece at the rear of the tang. A hard and fast chambering atempt can result in a jammed action with the cocking piece trying to ride up on the edge of the tang.

The problem is 99% due to the tang being thinned. This is one of the reasons some custom smiths refuse to thin the tang(including Duane Weibe).

Widening the slot(creating a "funnel") after thinning solves the problem(usually).
Interesting. I had thought of doing just that to the tang and/or adding a fine radius to the corner of the cocking piece sear face. I don't know if I'm skilled enough to do either. I can't express how much gratitude I have for all who post here. I am lucky to have found this site and appreciate the "caliber" of those who responded to this and my other posts. Eventhough I haven't mentioned your name, I am grateful. I don't recall who told me about it. If they are reading this, would like to thank them. Ray

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
I would weld up and recut the notch in the bolt. Recut the notch with a few degrees draft in it. One of the little things I do to aid in creating a smooth bolt throw.
Don
Thanks for chiming in Don. At this point the best solution is to rebuild the tang and then machine the trough and radius the entry. But, first I'm going to replace the mag follower spring which is weak. I don't know if enough upward pressure is exerted to lower the rear of the bolt or not. But, it wouldn't hurt to rule it out. Better get to the range one more time so I can decide which gun to take for deer tomorrow. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well. I ran out of time to get to th range. Both this Erfurt and my seocnd choice a newly customized 1936 Mexican won't feed and rounds won't slip under the ejector properly every time. Both are on the back burner until January.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don
Doesn't the draft create a shroud that rotates causing my tang marring issue to start with? Please define draft. New magazine spring did nothing. I've got other feed issues. Case binds on the turn of the bolt, jumps the ejector etc. 1 step forward , 2 steps back.I need a break. Til January.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The draft is to guide the lock in. It should lock up tight with zero shroud rotation in the lock position.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A common problem when altering the tang!!

There are two different issues here. The first, the three position aftermarket (I hope not a Gentry or Dakota as this is the timing problem most have mentioned here) may be causing a rotational problem due to the timing of the shroud to bolt. This usually occurs wehn the safety lever is in the middle postion and the bolt is cycled allowing the cocking piece to misalign.

When the safety lever is in the forward position allowing the bolt to cock on the opening stroke, the sear area of the cocking piece rests against the bolt body in the wrong position and causes the problem duscussed. The cure to this is to grind a slight notch in the back of the bolt in the correct location to allow the cocking piece to orient correctly. This problem happens before the bolt lock takes over and releases itself from the bolt.

I reduce/cut down the tang area in most of the Mausers I work on. But, like Duane has pointed out previously, you need to taper the rear of the action slot to allow the cocking piece to center itself in the action slot. That is where you could eliminate the problem depeicted in the original pictures.

Confused now?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The draft is to guide the lock in. It should lock up tight with zero shroud rotation in the lock position.
Don
Ah...thanks Don.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
A common problem when altering the tang!!

There are two different issues here. The first, the three position aftermarket (I hope not a Gentry or Dakota as this is the timing problem most have mentioned here) may be causing a rotational problem due to the timing of the shroud to bolt. This usually occurs wehn the safety lever is in the middle postion and the bolt is cycled allowing the cocking piece to misalign.

When the safety lever is in the forward position allowing the bolt to cock on the opening stroke, the sear area of the cocking piece rests against the bolt body in the wrong position and causes the problem duscussed. The cure to this is to grind a slight notch in the back of the bolt in the correct location to allow the cocking piece to orient correctly. This problem happens before the bolt lock takes over and releases itself from the bolt.

I reduce/cut down the tang area in most of the Mausers I work on. But, like Duane has pointed out previously, you need to taper the rear of the action slot to allow the cocking piece to center itself in the action slot. That is where you could eliminate the problem depeicted in the original pictures.

Confused now?
Jim
Yes. But only on Paragraph 2. I'm wondering how the sear area can rest on the bolt body when it is in the cocked (retracted) position? All tests were done with the Wisner 3 postion safety lever forward or on Fire. There are other feeding issues. For now, I'm putting it on the back burner until January. I have another action with feeding issues as well and maybe I'll deal with them in January. Thanks JK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is another issue that comes into play here. If a new bolt handle has been welded on and the action needed to be notched, it may not have been notched deep enough so the bolt is not closing all the way; or maybe too far!

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
There is another issue that comes into play here. If a new bolt handle has been welded on and the action needed to be notched, it may not have been notched deep enough so the bolt is not closing all the way; or maybe too far!

Jim

And this has what exactly to do with the cocking piece scoring the tang? That is done when the bolt is pushed forward, not when in battery.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes true, but if the bolt don't close all the way, the pin won't engage the and the cocking piece (held in place by the bolt shroud) won't rotate enough to enter the action cut.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Actually, the safety notch, located at 12 o'clock on the bolt, rotates to the 9 o'clock position when the bolt is opened. It is here that the locking plunger engages the notch to lock the shroud and consequently the cocking piece into place.

The bolt handle might prevent a safety from engaging due to misalignment of the notch and safety nose but it won't affect the position of the cocking piece when the bolt is open.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, I must have been thinking about something ekse!

However, if there is some slop in the pin or the bolt notch, it may cause the shroud to not rotate enough so the cocking piece would not enter the action slot correctly. The notch in the back of the bolt for the cocking piece in the correct spot will allow the cocking piece to enter the slot in the action.

I have a hunch both of us know what we are talking about but it seems to be lost in translation somewhere.

Peace!!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran into the same problem with a pretty sloppy Siamese Mauser upon which I built a 30/40 thirty-some years ago. I slimmed the tang too much and with all the slop in the bolt, it would hit on the right side of the slot. I welded up the bolt lock notch and moved it a bit and slightly tapered the cocking piece on the right side and it worked OK. I never thinned a tang that much again!
Tom Burgess told me of splitting a receiver bridge and welding it back up to tighten the clearance. I've not felt inclined to go that far on one. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I ran into the same problem with a pretty sloppy Siamese Mauser upon which I built a 30/40 thirty-some years ago. I slimmed the tang too much and with all the slop in the bolt, it would hit on the right side of the slot. I welded up the bolt lock notch and moved it a bit and slightly tapered the cocking piece on the right side and it worked OK. I never thinned a tang that much again!
Tom Burgess told me of splitting a receiver bridge and welding it back up to tighten the clearance. I've not felt inclined to go that far on one. Regards, Bill

Yeah, I shared another one of Tom's bridge tightening techniques with teh OP.

Aut vincere aut mori