New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Pre64 70 Maker ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a pre64 70 custom in 257 roberts a while back. The quality is on par with an ACGG guild gun. The only identifing marks on the gun are under the chamber on the bottom of the barrel - 257 RBTS HW 85.

So I assume it was built in 1985 and assume the HW is the initials of the builder. So any guesses as to who the builder may have been.

Sorry I don't have any photos at this time.

Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Needle in a haystack
There was a metalsmith around that time, Herman Waldron in Wa. state.

Check out some Gun Digests of that time period.
Any photos available.
Good Luck
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waldron is my guess, too.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I just found out that the metalwork is Waldron.

I am going to try and find out the stockmaker on it next.

RJS

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
If you have some pictures, some of the stockmakers are readily identifiable. Waldron was a fairly well known metalsmith whose work was used in some high quality customs. A glance through some of the older Gun Digests will attest to that.

John Amber used Waldron for his custom Model 70 stocked by the late Don Allen. If memory serves, that was Amber's last custom. His eye sight had gone in his right eye, and Don fashioned a "bent stock" for him. Waldron built custom bases that had further offset. He could shoulder the gun perfectly to his right shoulder, but his left eye was perfectly aligned to the scope. Waldron also made a custom sliding release for the floorplate. Rather neat and singular custom....

Pictures and story can be found in the 1980 "Gun Digest Review of Custom Guns". Copies of that book can still be found...

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RJS,

Herman Waldron & Gary Goudy worked on quite some projects. The metal work was done by HW also the barrel, the stock by Gary Goudy.

Gary Goudy - Herman Waldron - Exhibition Turkish Circassian Walnut - .375 H&H - Winchester Pre 64 - 1953

Roland

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Damn, now that is a nice piece of wood.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland1, you beat me to it. Gary and Herman are good friends and Herman did a lot of the metalwork on Gary's guns.

RJS, if you can send me a photo of the rifle I can forward it to Gary to see if he did it or knows who did.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is pretty much a twin to the one in Roland's pictures minus the sights and recoil pin. Same excellent quality throughout.

Well I can see I am going to have to get a new digital camera soon. Chic, when I get pictures I sure will let you know and thanks for the offer.

RJS

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
The text in this ad for the first FEGA gun (American Masters Series Rifle) says that Herman Waldron was deceased. Not true?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976913936.aspx

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RJS,

Herman & Gary are both authorities in the trade; all the work I have seen from them was very good.
Congratulations with your heirloom, I would love to see the pictures.thumb

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herman is alive and well

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Herman is alive and well

Good news, thank you for letting us know.

Roland