New
Find
Notify
Tools

failure & injury/ interesting thread
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
at benchrest; mossberg threw the bolt back into the shooter's teeth upon firing, interesting links in the thread, also:

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53429

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the first time this has happened! I had a lengthy thread going at GB about these rifles when someone asked about purchasing one. One guy had purchased one for his son so he contacted Mossberg and asked about a bolt problem and although they wouldn't admit there was a problem they traded him a shotgun as the guy said he would not let his son ever shoot the rifle. I honestly don't like bad mouthing a product simply because what don't work for me may work for someone else but when it comes to someones safety that all changes.
tin can,thanks for posting this as I still find people asking opinions about this rifle and can now refer them to your thread.

til later

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a member there or I'd respond to some that said it couldn't happen because . . . Blah Blah. I don't know that action but if the pin holds the seperate bolt head to the main body, and the fireing pin goes through it, and that leaves a big hole in a thin pin, well.

One lad reckons there would be no force on said pin. Sure except that all the torque force of locking the lugs into the receiver could be on it. Then if the bolt head is not "keyed" or splined ? is it? into the bolt body, well, if the pin falls out when the bolt is out, look out.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote