Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem model 7 modifications
 Login/Join

posted
I have a rem model 7 in 7-08 I'd like to try and tighten the grouping up on. With a lightened trigger and and reloading it groups around 1-1-1/2 inches at 100M

I have considered freefloating the barrel but am a little nervous about doing this as model 7's have a lightweight barrel profile and my (somewhat basic) understanding was that heavier barrels responded better to floating and lighter barrels to pressure bedding. Has anyone free-floated a model 7 with good results?

I will continue with the factory stock. Is there any advantage pillar bedding over normal bedding to be gained in a synthetic stock?

Posts: 15 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would free float the barrel. You can always add back a pressure point if needed. Problem with the plastic stock on the model 7 is that it is so flexible, so you need to move the front rest back to the front action screw and not put any pressure on the grip, or the stock will flex and that will affect your groups. I use a couple of the Rem. plastic stocks on my truck guns because they are so tuff. I put an aluminum tube and fill the barrel channel full of acraglass to stiffen the forearm. I have one pillar bedded and the other I just fit the stock to the action like you would with a good wood stock, both rifles shoot very well and I don't need to worry about ruining the finish of the stock.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much have played with the loads. I have a model 7 in the remington plastic stock. I shot hot as in over listed max loads of h 414 with 140 grain ballistic tips. This rifle is scary accurate. If it ain't shooting under a 1/2 inch I am having a bad day behind the trigger. And this was with the horrible 8 pound factory trigger. I recently swapped the trigger out for a rifle basix at about three pounds. Not shooting as good as I was. Just need some more range time. I shot the factory trigger for about 15 years.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lurcher

FIRST try this.

Cut up some credit cards, or similar material and place enough of it under the recoil lug to lift up the barreled action enough to free float the bbl. Tighten the action screws properly of course. Shoot some loads and see how she shoots freefloated.

I did a M 7 this way [308] and discovered it shot better free floated.

So I took out my "spacers" and free floated the barrel.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two model 7s. The first is a .243, it was a model from the first year of production. It had a 1:12 twist barrel and would not shoot bullets over 85 grains. I trued, the action, and rebarreled with a Broughton 20", light weight weight contour, in 1:8, 5C. It shoots sub .5 at 100 yards with 90 grain Sciroccos shooting 3212 fps. The stock is pillar bedded, and the lug is glassed in.

The second model 7 is a 308. Factory barrel, factory stock, that has been pillar bedded and the lug has been glassed in. It shoots 150 grain Sciroccos at 3019fps sub .750 at 100 yards. It too is free floating.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote