New
Find
Notify
Tools

seeking ideas on resurrecting an H&H Rook Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently traded for a hammer single shot rook rifle in 380 CF. I want to restore it but first I want it shooting. It has a tip down barrel similar to a single shot shotgun. This one has a hammer but it looks like the hammerless guns I’ve seen. The previous owner fired 38 special hollow based wad cutters and it shot well enough for the so-so bore. Ideally I would have it relined to 22 Hornet. But I question the safety of that approach. Maybe 38 Special or 22 LR is better. Would anyone like to venture a guess as to which calibers are safe in this type action?

Allan

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Allan, congratulations on your plan to restore your H&H Rook and Rabbit rifle. You might find Greenwood’s book of help.
You wisely question the safety of the Hornet, which can run 30-40,000 psi. These 100 plus year old guns mostly shot pistol type cartridges at 1000- 1200 FPS, with consequent low pressures.

But the main reason you might consider leaving the existing chambering is its originality.
So many of these ( like mine) were converted to 410 shotguns with restrictive British rifle laws in the 1920s. If you could get it shooting well with proper reloading it might be satisfying.
But it’s your rifle. Be safe and enjoy it.

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote