THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Metal after Market Follower available for Kimber .308 Montana ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal after Market Follower available for Kimber .308 Montana ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wonderin if anyone in the states makes one I could swap the plastic one out for, it catches a little and therefore sometimes it does not push the base of the cartridge up high enough and the bolt slips over the round, I think the palstic on the metal mag box sticks.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btt

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sorry this is not a more useful response, but here goes...

I would suggest you take the rifle to any good gunsmith, and look in his parts bins. There you might find an appropriate length and width follower, or one which with a little grinding will do the job. I'd start by looking at those from Mausers, Arisakas, short-actioned Model 70 Winchesters, and others of that ilk. You may very well discover one which will work just fine (and of course you may not, too...)

Would be handy knowledge to have in circulation, too. You could post your findings here at AR and watch it become one of secret "tricks" of those "in the know" all over the world. Wink

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I am going to have to check this out more carefully. I have had the bolt ride over rounds in 84M's in 243, and 308.

Since I seat most bullets to the maximum for those short magazines I am going to take a closer look at that also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage at the minute I have actually made my mind up to return the rifle I think it's a POS....................I am getting it at a discount but I reckon it needs 200-300AUS of gunsmithing to sort out which pretty well means it is not a bargain any more.

My dealer had a line on a Sako 75 7mm STW and thats what I am going to get instead I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I respect your judgement PC.

As for myself, what with my age etc. I worked on the Kimbers and got them going. If you don't think that you really really need that lightweight then I agree with you.

Kimber started with a neat design in a market niche and made some improvements and then Winchester went under. One would think that they would be booming. However they lost 10 million $ in a embezzlement.

I have enough guns for actual use right now and am just buying them for amusement. I did blast something with my Kimber 308 Montana yesterday using a 155 VLD. That rifle is my #1 woods gun now until some whim hits me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Savage 99:
I respect your judgement PC.

As for myself, what with my age etc. I worked on the Kimbers and got them going. If you don't think that you really really need that lightweight then I agree with you.

Kimber started with a neat design in a market niche and made some improvements and then Winchester went under. One would think that they would be booming. However they lost 10 million $ in a embezzlement.(QUOTE)

My God! Shady characters and theft seems to be a curse associated with the name, KIMBER!!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt over ridding a cartridge on the keft side of the magazine box is not an uncommon problem with Kimbers. Here in New Zealand the agent appointed gunsmith has overcome the problem by putting a step in the box wall which stops the follower from contacting the left rail. This cocks the rear of the follower up and keeps the cartrigde high at the rim. My Kimber was was so modified
The smith who did the work was of the opinion that the step in the left rail should be closer to the front of the action, in the position it is it allows a cartridge to rock on the step.
Whilst the smith had the rifle I asked him to smooth the trigger and set release at 2.75 lbs
The little Kimber now shoots very well and feeds as it should.
If memory servs the trigger work cost $60, the modification to the box was free.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olden,

thanks for that, but I have returned the Kimber and picked up a sako 75 7mm STW this seems like a nice rifle I hope it shoots as nice as it feels and looks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for that information oldun. I did look at my follower in the 84M 308 and it seems that the spring pushes it up at the rear but still it rides over now and then and from the left side as you correctly said.

Before reading your advice I was considering stretching the spring but your smiths idea may indeed be a real solution.

These Kimber 84M's are a real niche rifle with a lot features that I really want. Its too bad that all of them are not perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage,
What are the mounts you have on your Kimbers?

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldun,

I have changed things around since that picture. I favor the Weaver system for bases and rings that fit them. I switch scopes a lot on dozens of rifles.

The one on the left is a 8400 270 WSM that had the steel Talleys for the pic. I don't like those mounts with the open top rings as it snows here. They have been put aside and some friend sent me a pair of Talley lightweight aluminum rings. Those are good and are still on the rifle with that same 3-9 Conquest.

In the middle is a 308 Montana with Weaver style bases made by Warne for the 8-40 Kimbers. The rings are Weaver Quad Locks. That scope is an old Zeiss 4X Diatal and its been replaced by a 2.5-8 Conquest in the same mounts.

On the right is a 243 Montana with a 4.5-14 Leu Tac. in steel Talleys. That rifle now has Weaver style bases with Burris Signature rings holding a 4.5-14 Conquest.