THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for home made synthetic stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen!
I am on the verge of throwing myself into the plastic fumes of making some fibreglass stocks for my rifles. I will make a stock for my small game rifle in .22 Hornet, and for my moose gun in .375HH, but I have not yet figured out how to make a one piece mold for the stocks that can be used with vacuum lamination?
Any suggestions or ideas are most welcome!

/Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you figure that one out let me know too!

Another approach is to carve a foam core and glass the outside of the foam. There was an article in Precision Shooting magazine several years ago about this. The author didn't bag it but I don't see any reason you couldn't.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
hijack

I hate to hijack your thread Huglu, but do you really like thos shotguns?

I imported 13 of them to the states in 2000, and I was appalled at the complete lack of quality. I used one for skeet and cracked the tang in half at 3 months shoot 150 shots a weekend.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99:
The huglu gun that I have is both good and bad, it is very rough in the finish, made in a limited edition of totally 300 shotguns. I broke the firing pin after around 100 skeet/trap shots, but received a new one and now it works fine. The gun I have is ONLY designed to make charging polar bears have other thoughts about their supper plans. It just looks like a more brutal win1300defender. I once cut a shotgun shell in half with the mechanism when I reloaded. I also wrecked the culot of a 56 gramme goose load(probably too hot loaded from the factory, since all cases got stuck in all weapons used.) when pumping the case from the barrel. The rifle is well over dimensioned as compared to other shotguns and totally insensitive to ice and snow.

For more "normal" applications I use my FN SbS from the 1920s instead.

The Huglu beyshir spitsbergen LE, is just a "fun" gun, and since there are only 300 made, its not likely that many others have it.

I hope that answers Your question?

If we can get back on thread again, I have thought about having a 3 piece mould for the stocks, where the barrel is one piece, the box is the second and the buttstock is the third piece.

I would then use my styrofoam blank as a base and mould the 3 forms from these outer dimensions, then make each part separately with vacuum lamination, then fitting them together, release-wax the mechanism, barrel + all other parts & then bed the stock + mechanism together. Possibly would also fibreglass/carbon fibre tape/woven be wrapped around the stock to reinforce it further.

Would this work?

/Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you could make a heavy two piece mold of the stock you would like to copy, leave the butt end open. Take a bicycle tube cut it to length leaving the air valve attached, seal the ends, wrap the tube with your fiber glass loosely. Release coat, then epoxy coat the mold halves, insert the fiber wrapped tube, close the mold, air the tube up. Leave holes for the epoxy to exit. When the epoxy is cured remove the bike tube. Get some low expansion great stuff urethane foam and fill the stock, cut holes for the bedding and barrel, glass bed. Not a vacuum molding process but should work.
For a lot less work get Bell and Carlson Stock off E-Bay cut the bedding out and fit it to your rifle.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote