New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of barrel vice?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you folks able to tell me what a full barrel vice setup should cost? Also any guess as to total size and weight? I know lots a variables! Here is why.

Bought it for $30. Now am getting grief about shipping it. Any AR members live close to Rochester, WA ?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one off ebay, paid a lot more than $30 for it. more like $80 or so, maybe $90+ shipped, without a handle (bench mount).

shipping like that can be an easy $20 or more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's cheap for a bbl vise.

Is the 'handle' just that or is it a free standing floor mount?
I'd have the seller keep that part if the shipping is crazy, ship the vise part in a USPO Flat Rate Box. Bench mount the vise when you get it.
The medium or large Flat Rate boxes allow something like 70lbs max weight,,that should cover it for between 1$10 to $15 depending on which box it fits into.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I told the auction house to have someone cut the pipe off. They don't want to mess with it is my gut feeling. So now I am looking at other options.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
One tell them tuff crap and ship what is owed to you. thats their fault not yours.

As for cost of a barrel vise I'm still using the one I made during my toolmaker apprenticeship. Cost was on my time.
I make bushing as I need them.
Same goes for the action wrench.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A barrel vise would be much cheaper than a barrel vice.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
A barrel vise would be much cheaper than a barrel vice.

Just ask Gen. Petraeus.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea you guys caught it I didn't. Another manifestation of my neurology problems. I now pick wrong words a lot. I can use spell check etc. but none of the programs pick up homonyms.
Now that said anyone want this? I will give it to any AR member wants it for FREE. Y'all just have to figure out how to get it. If no one wants it I will put it back up for auction.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm in Tygh Valley, OR. About a four hour drive from you. Let me know if the vise is still available please.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drove past Rochester yesterday, and will be within 30 minutes of it tomorrow.

Did you buy it from Johnny's Auctions?

BTW, I'd love to have it. Smiler

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As it stands Dennis is first in line. I sent a PM and gave 48 hours to respond. I am also posting this here. Stokes you are second. If Dennis changes his mind or does not get back to me it is then yours. Maybe you 2 can even work something out but that is up to you. My only requirements for this are:
1) You can not sell it. If and when you are done with it you must give it away.
2) If you keep it you must pay it forward in some other way.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
Mike

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think adding a PIF section to the Classifieds here is a good idea. Other forums have it, and I've seen very little abuse.

Johnny's is a short trip for me, so if it's more than Dennis wants to do, I'll certainly take it. Either way, I think starting a PIF might be the thing to do, as we are coming upon the Christmas season.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote