Find
Notify
Tools

GEW 98 mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PythonWill
posted
My dad just got a berreled action and wants to build something, he is stuck on the 280 Ackley Improved. Im just curious if you guys think it would be a good choice. Its curently a 8mm.
He hasnt had a gun built since his 30-338 which he had done around 1965. Now he's getting pumped for some reason and I just keep tellin him to slow down and think it over before jumping into it all at once. So do you htink it would be a good choice for that action? I personally have no clue. Ive never shot one before or heard much about them.
Thanks
Will

Posts: 41 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he knew enough to get a 30-338 built in '65, I suspect he has studied long and hard about what his next build would be. I must guess that you are talking about a 98 Mauser action and as long as it is in decent shape and is standard length, this would be an excellent choice. It's his gun, his $$ and his dream. Lighten up and let him enjoy it.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PythonWill
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Im not really worried that much about his choice, I just didnt think he put alot of thought into it first. He has only had the action a week or so ago. before that he never mentioned anything about it.
I have faith in the ole man, I just wanted to know what all you folks thought about his choice. It really dont matter what "I" think anyway, LOL hes gonna build what he wants and rub it in my face when its done. He still talks about his 30-338 and its as old as I am. God knows what he will do when this one is built

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad does a lot of stuff in his old age that I don't particularly agree with, and everyday I thank the Lord that I still have him!!!

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
It's my fault that my father owns a K98. I own a few Mausers and he decided he had to have one too.

Now we go shooting together when we have time. Nothin' like an afternoon at the range with ol' Dad.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If my old Dad got pumped about anything - that would get me pumped too! You're a lucky son.

280 AI is a great cartridge choice for a 98 Mauser. He clearly knows a thing or two.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PythonWill
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for putting me at ease, I know my dad has good judgement in most everything he does, but he gets excited and just jumps in head first at times. I guess I should be used to it by now.
My dad has some propery and a 100yrd shooting range right across the road from his house. We shoot there quite often, and your right. There nuthin like a day shootin with dad.