New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a Rem trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just took posession of a later model XP 100 R. It is one based on the M-7 action. As per usual, it has a lawyer trigger - Creepy & Difficult!
I want to adjust it, but I ran into a snag. My first adjustment was going to be to the engagement screw. It won't budge! I ruined two Brownells-type driver bits trying to turn it. When that didn't work, I tried soaking it in acetone, thinking that should break down any locking compound. Still, it won't budge.
I hesitate to go any farther, 'cause I'm nearly to the point of messing up the screw slot. There ain't much material to work with to start, and if i booger it up, it's gonna cause a mess.
I hesitate to try heat.
BTW, after the acetone, the other two screws turn without difficulty. I didn't try them before the acetone bath, so no idea about that.
Anyone have any ideas?

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it to these guys. For the $35 bucks or so you will save yourself allot of headaches.

http://www.triggersmith.com/

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bug

Take a small propane torch and apply some mild heat to the sear engagement screw area. Be conservative with the heat, keep testing it with your screw driver as it heats. Remington uses a loctite type material on some of their triggers. When you have applied enough heat the screw will turn with out damage to the slot.

Oddly they dont use it on every trigger. But when they do it is always on the sear engagement screw.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way I worked in a gunmithing shop in east Texas in the 90's. Little town called Frankston near Tyler.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Craftsman. Yeah, I know of where you speak. That would be Jim Barr, DBA: Kickapoo Trading Post. Been there several times. They did a select-fire conversion for me before the machine-gun ban. Last I heard, he moved his shop. Jacksonville, if memory serves.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote