New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dress Code
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To go along with the common problems thread, what is the most common attire for a gunsmith? Wondering if anyone still wears a vest and tie?

These photos are of Harvey Rodgers while he worked at Hart Arms in Cleveland sometime in the 1930's.

Looks like he has gotten some mileage out of that shop apron. Also notice the Swivel jaw bench vise. Looks to me like either Hollands or Prentiss. I am thinking the first photo might be staged, looks like he is going after a finished stock with a big old rasp. My guess is the stock in the top photo is for a Hart/Winchester 52. Hart Arms did quite a business of building target rifles on Winchester 52 barreled actions. They even made their own trigger and speed lock conversion for the 52 as well as for the 03 and 1922 Springfield. Bottom photo he appears to be heading up a double barrel shotgun of some sort.

So, anyone still wearing a tie? Hopefully not when running the lathe.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
G. Beitzinger at G&H: probably in 1970's

2009 in his shop - Chapel Sports.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a picture of my grandfather working at the company that he would eventually own, with his fellow employees, somewhere pre 1956. Each has a large "lab coat" looking jacket, with massive lapels that look like a velvety material. And ties, every single one of them had ties. Even the guy running the lathe.

There is one quite humorous picture, a fellow running a big lathe, jacket, tie, massive cigar dangling out of his mouth, and of all things, I think riding on the carriage next to the tool post, is a cat.

I'll have to see if I can dig those pictures out.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I tell you all now if we went back to that manners would follow.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dream On

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shirt, tie, and bibs were very common with workers in the building trade at one time.

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am certain that DPCD never hits his shop without at least a tie! animal

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sorry to bust your bubble; I wear Olive Green shirts, or Brown Army T shirts, and a demin shop apron. All the time.
Manners? Truth is manners.
I'm not here to make friends. I have one already. Well, had.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I tell you all now if we went back to that manners would follow.

I agree. It is a lesson I wish I had learned sooner in life. Respect for others grows out of having respect for yourself. That being said, I wear blue jeans, a t shirt, and in months with an "R" in them I add a flannel shirt.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
G. Beitzinger at G&H: probably in 1970's

2009 in his shop - Chapel Sports.

Love that first pic. I would have never guessed he was still working as late as 2009, but honestly do not know much about the man.

Thanks,
John