New
Find
Notify
Tools

remington model 30 express ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have found an old remington model 30 express in 257 roberts and was wondering about the action? would it be a good builder or not and anything else that maybe I should know about this model Thanks for any info

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I think they are darn nice actions. The "civilian" model of the 1917 action.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
CZ,

Frank D Haas says in his book the .257 R was introduced in the Model 30S in 1934, and he says also it was common (he saw a lot of .30-'06 and .257 R rifles in the 30s). He writes that it was common to rechamber a .257R to .25-'06.

Does this rifle have collector value?

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 30 series IS a collectable rifle. They are way cool, especially the later ones with improvements. If it is in good shape, it is every bit the equal of Winchester's M70, and better than the M52.

The question we should be asking is, where is the interest?

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a very suitable action to build off of, but I personally would keep it in 257. I was going to buy the exact setup you are talking about, the 30 express in 257, but the bidding (it was gunbroker i think) went higher than I was willing to pay for it so I backed off, that one was in excellent original condition.

of course that action would the a great basis for a big bore if that is what you are thinking, I personally wouldn't bother to change it for any standard length cartridge. (but personally things are just that, and all of us have our own ideas of what is a good or bad idea iwth certain rifles).

I think I saw a model 30 in 505 gibbs on one of the gun sale sites. hmmm....

post pics if you buy it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going back to look at it again tommorrow about what price range shoulkd I expect? The wood shows its age but the bluing is in really good shape .

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it hasn't been cut, or altered in any way, I'd expect it to fetch $400+.
I'd look under the barrel as the stocks were serialed to the receiver.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id say buy it , if its in good condition. I saw a model 30 all origanal that was 257 roberts rechambered from 25 rem. I wish i would have bought it. I like mausers and pre 64 winchesters but Ive grown to like those old remington control feed actions

I have a 1927 model 30 that inspired me to buy a Rare remington model 720 that I came across.If you dont know the 720 remington is the upgraded model 30, Cool actions...I thing they are a special find because they are not as commmon.

My next project is stocking my m720 with a nice piece of figured fancy walnut.

Yes that is a good action to build. Has it been drilled and tapped ? Make sure its drilled right , if so. One of my pet pieves is less than perfect D/T jobs, Off center holes, holes driled in the wrong place, that ruin a action

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote