Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions of Lone Wolf Stocks.......
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking at one of their Summit stocks @ around a pound for a Ruger. Have any of you had any experiance with them. I would like to here some opinions of them please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAD LONE WOLF FABRICATE AND FIT FOREND AND BUTTSTOCK FOR A RUGER #1 IN 338 WIN MAG ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. THE WORKMANSHIP IS FIRST CLASS. THE FIT IS EXCELLENT ALSO. RIFLE HAS BEEN ON MANY HUNTS INCLUDING AFRICA, STILL LOOKS NEW. RIFLE WILL SHOOT 1/2" TO 3/4" GROUPS AS LONG AS I DO MY PART. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THEM.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Lone build me a stock for a Rem 721. Extremely light stock. I also enjoy the form they use, narrow open grip, slender through the forend, and stright comb. The paint on mine has chipped more than I had hoped but I put it through some "tough" use. Over all, I use them again.

Hope this help,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years back I had a fairly low opinion of them based on my first couple samples.

Of late, I have been seeing more of them and must say that the quality seems pretty darn good. They are light and very stiff.

If you plan on doing the fit and finish yourself, prepare for quite a bit of work. The blanks come pretty rough. I'd also advise pillar bedding, as the action mortise isn't solid filled (probably wouldn't be a problem, but I'm anal).

Make REALLY sure that you spec the barrel channel correctly. Order to a size or two larger if there is any doubt. The forearms are not foam filled (like McMillan, Bansner, Borden, etc.). If you need to open the barrel channel at all, you will break through into solid air, requiring the complete rebuild of the fore arm.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellows.

Charlie thanks for the heads up. I think I would let them finish and bed for this rifle. They are not cheap, but for a stock this light I want to make sure it's bedded to their standards in case it comes apart in recoil.

BTW, I would like to say the Cerakote job you did on my 77 Tang 30-06 turned out great.

Thanks again,

Kennon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree that having the bed and finish the stock is the best way to go and the way I chose.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote